Jump to content
IGNORED

Bedding maintenance


Recommended Posts

I have an area that has many smaller diameter ash trees that are dead and one benefit is sunlight to the ground.

I did some tsi/hinge cutting 3-4yrs ago and this area has really blown up and has gotten pretty thick. Thick to the point It’s fairly tough to navigate and I think that’s effecting how often the bed inside. 
It has a lot of autumn olive, multiflora rose and some other zero value shrub. Ideally with removing these hopefully more grasses or goldenrod will sprout up. This is fairly close to the new food plot so my goal is to get this looking good to keep the deer close!


With this nice little stretch of weather I tried some hack and squirt using my battery powered Stihl and a squirt bottle of brush killer. Not sure how effective this will be but having decent temps and no freezing for a few days I figured I try it. Have a ton more to go but its a start.

Here’s a few pics

4E299401-B458-4F04-8718-16E89B9485F1.jpeg

122AAA8A-4FB1-4AB9-A406-EDEC58302526.jpeg

1D12EE63-2E8B-4B76-ACB8-01C779297393.jpeg

45964FEA-64E5-40AF-BDED-36E294191FBE.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ZAG said:

I have an area that has many smaller diameter ash trees that are dead and one benefit is sunlight to the ground.

I did some tsi/hinge cutting 3-4yrs ago and this area has really blown up and has gotten pretty thick. Thick to the point It’s fairly tough to navigate and I think that’s effecting how often the bed inside. 
It has a lot of autumn olive, multiflora rose and some other zero value shrub. Ideally with removing these hopefully more grasses or goldenrod will sprout up. This is fairly close to the new food plot so my goal is to get this looking good to keep the deer close!


With this nice little stretch of weather I tried some hack and squirt using my battery powered Stihl and a squirt bottle of brush killer. Not sure how effective this will be but having decent temps and no freezing for a few days I figured I try it. Have a ton more to go but its a start.

Here’s a few pics

4E299401-B458-4F04-8718-16E89B9485F1.jpeg

122AAA8A-4FB1-4AB9-A406-EDEC58302526.jpeg

1D12EE63-2E8B-4B76-ACB8-01C779297393.jpeg

45964FEA-64E5-40AF-BDED-36E294191FBE.jpeg

Multiflora rose and autumn olive are easiest and best controlled in early spring at 1st sign of leaf out.  Theybare 1st and only shrubs to show leaves along with honeysuckle.  A simple mix of gly ( roundup )at 2%  applied with back back or hand sprayer  knocks them out quick and minimal disturbance to soil so seeds dont germinate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, G-man said:

Multiflora rose and autumn olive are easiest and best controlled in early spring at 1st sign of leaf out.  Theybare 1st and only shrubs to show leaves along with honeysuckle.  A simple mix of gly ( roundup )at 2%  applied with back back or hand sprayer  knocks them out quick and minimal disturbance to soil so seeds dont germinate.

I gave this a try on the autumn olive. Multiflora rose ill have to take a broader spraying approach.

B72AC753-D248-480F-A973-9F4CEE2DF354.png

Edited by ZAG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ZAG said:

I gave this a try on the autumn olive. Multiflora rose ill have to take a broader spraying approach.

B72AC753-D248-480F-A973-9F4CEE2DF354.png

To dilute.  Buy a gerneric 41 % and mix it heavy 2 to 5%  will kill it. Been using a 20 gal sprayer on atv with want and  just killing back trails and pockets  i can get into. Get further along every year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless you really hate non native plants, keep the autumn olive. It’s a bedding area and not a foodplot, and the olive is great bedding cover. And I’m one that gets paid to kill invasive plants. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It does suck that anything you open up will fill in with invasive species. I eradicate Japanese knotweed, Oriental bittersweet, and Swallowwort. I tolerate Autumn Olive and Honeysuckle. Buckthorn and Prickly Ash seem to come up everywhere; the thorns make management painful sometimes (I buried 3/4" in my eye once). Multiflora got set back by disease a few years ago, but it seems to be making a comeback. Time to grab the sprayer. 

Overall though, I could spend all day everyday fighting this stuff and it wouldn't make a difference. The best competitor wins. I try to plant native species so that they have a chance, but outside of dogwood it seems like everything gets pummeled by insects or deer. 

I've been to some beautiful places that haven't yet experienced this influx of foreign garbage and tell folks there to treasure what they have. The woods is a vastly different place once the invasives take over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Keith Nehrke said:

It does suck that anything you open up will fill in with invasive species. I eradicate Japanese knotweed, Oriental bittersweet, and Swallowwort. I tolerate Autumn Olive and Honeysuckle. Buckthorn and Prickly Ash seem to come up everywhere; the thorns make management painful sometimes (I buried 3/4" in my eye once). Multiflora got set back by disease a few years ago, but it seems to be making a comeback. Time to grab the sprayer. 

Overall though, I could spend all day everyday fighting this stuff and it wouldn't make a difference. The best competitor wins. I try to plant native species so that they have a chance, but outside of dogwood it seems like everything gets pummeled by insects or deer. 

I've been to some beautiful places that haven't yet experienced this influx of foreign garbage and tell folks there to treasure what they have. The woods is a vastly different place once the invasives take over.

No doubt. I’m gonna take a stab to at least knock it down. My arms all cut up from them damn thorns. Gonna get the blade for the stihl and attack it that way and have someone spray behind me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Unless you really hate non native plants, keep the autumn olive. It’s a bedding area and not a foodplot, and the olive is great bedding cover. And I’m one that gets paid to kill invasive plants. 

My vision is to add some clumps of pines for some overhead cover. Remove mfr and aa and ideally it induces further grasses/goldenrod growth and cover in the 0-5ft range. 
Maybe even seed in some native grasses to help the regeneration process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, one thing I wanted to mention is the fact I’ve been using the battery powered stihl the entire time. I have two batteries and exhausted both of them. A little to big of a job as it chews up the battery life fairly quick. I enjoy how quiet it is and how light it is. The next day ur bodys not reminded that you lugged around a heavy chainsaw 😁

I may take a ride back down tomorrow and start a fire and start burning this stuff up. My original thought was to just leave it but there is sooooo damn much of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ZAG said:

Oh, one thing I wanted to mention is the fact I’ve been using the battery powered stihl the entire time. I have two batteries and exhausted both of them. A little to big of a job as it chews up the battery life fairly quick. I enjoy how quiet it is and how light it is. The next day ur bodys not reminded that you lugged around a heavy chainsaw 😁

I may take a ride back down tomorrow and start a fire and start burning this stuff up. My original thought was to just leave it but there is sooooo damn much of it.

I've been thinking about getting a electric chainsaw.  How long did your batteries last? Understand you were pushing it... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...