IGNORED

What's your go to squirrel rifle?

mowin

Scoped Savage Mark II G.. At least, I think it's the G.. there are lots of Mark II configurations... It's reliable and plenty accurate. Sometimes I think I should get a semi auto with open sights for those times when a quick follow up shot is needed, but I missed the boat on that one with the new laws..

So i guess i have always had a worry about squirrel hunting and its prob just me.  But using a .22 always made me nervous.  As obviously most shots for squirrels are up.... and you miss.  That bullet is still coming down somewhere. And i get thats its really small.  If in the big woods i didnt worry but on local areas i just didnt like the thought.  Often used a 20g as those BBs arent going far and it was effective. 

had the crap scared out of me one early bow season when the neighbors were blazing away at squirrels and i was in a treestand nearby . 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Just now, Splitear said:

Remington 550 with a fixed 3X scope, shooting CCI Shorts. Also a Ruger 10/22 with a 3x9 when I want to shoot 22lr. I've also been using my shotgun more and more, either my Browining A5 12ga or A5 Light 20.

I started out with a single shot .410. killed a lot of tree rats with that shotgun. 

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So i guess i have always had a worry about squirrel hunting and its prob just me.  But using a .22 always made me nervous.  As obviously most shots for squirrels are up.... and you miss.  That bullet is still coming down somewhere. And i get thats its really small.  If in the big woods i didnt worry but on local areas i just didnt like the thought.  Often used a 20g as those BBs arent going far and it was effective. 

had the crap scared out of me one early bow season when the neighbors were balzing away at squirrels and i was in a treestand nearby . 

In small woodlots, It could be a issue. Believe it or not most of my shots with the.22m are when they are on the ground.  When in the tree they rarely stop moving, at least in the late winter. They seem to sit still long enough when they are on the ground. 

Edited by mowin

7 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

CZ 452 American with a cheap Voryex Crossfire ll 4-12x44. I shoot flies and yellow jackets when they land on my target at 50 yds.🤣

For a more casual hunt, I like a Browning SA-22. It's a pleasure to carry and a blast to shoot.

Those Brownings are beautiful guns, I hope to have one one day!

5.56x45! What? Hey, folks hunt deer with a .300 Win. Mag so .......................

My S&W 22LR. I like to head in, sit on a little knoll and shoot them on the ground. Never from trees. I prefer the 20 GA though, then I can shoot them from trees and on the ground.

I don't feed trolls.

I found a squirrel “hot-spot” during the Holiday ML deer season.  Only trouble is, no firearms because it is only 300 ft from some buildings, who’s owners have not given me permission to shoot.  

I could use my crossbow, but that wouldn’t be cost-effective .  I think I am going to give my Marksman .177 pellet rifle another chance.  I don’t think that is considered “a firearm”.   I carried it, to deal with tree rats during the early September antlerless deer season from other stands. I didn’t want to scare off deer, with the report of my .22LR or .410.   

It let me down on this chipmunk.  The shot dropped it off a limb, but the damn thing got back up after a few minutes and disappeared into a rock wall.  I’m thinking “high back” hit.  

C69C4FC7-7F29-4717-877E-A4BE6F814840.jpeg.22af22ce4262b7b2b093a24418f3a4bb.jpeg

In areas where firearms are legal, my go-to squirrel rifle is my a Ruger 10/22 with a Simmons  “22 magnum” scope.   I like a single shot .410 and #6 shot, when there is still leaves on the trees.