IGNORED

Encountering ATVs On State Land While Hunting.

blackbeltbill

Sbuff's good Thread gave me an idea for mine here.  Encountering  and or Hearing the Drone  of ATVs getting ever nearer  while,I am Hunting on State Lands where they are illegal  to be " in my area".

I am talking about Sterling Forest State Park. As,I wrote in Sbuff's  Thread there are many Mcmansions with their back yards connected to the State Land.  

Usually, I see and have them pass me either way on the Weekends of course when most people  are off work. Saturday- "today"- right about 9.30am if,I am out Hiking or Hunting would be the time I start hearing that " Drone" that gets nearer. That Spring or Fall Turkey Hunt is over. 

Since 1999 - when Sterling Forest became  State Land- the same year as Stewart State Forest did as well- I have had many Hunts ruined.  Alot of the ATV drivers have Gun Cases in the back. It is what it is.  Very common in Sterling Forest State Park.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

13 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Sbuff's good Thread gave me an idea for mine here.  Encountering  and or Hearing the Drone  of ATVs getting ever nearer  while,I am Hunting on State Lands where they are illegal  to be " in my area".

I am talking about Sterling Forest State Park. As,I wrote in Sbuff's  Thread there are many Mcmansions with their back yards connected to the State Land.  

Usually, I see and have them pass me either way on the Weekends of course when most people  are off work. Saturday- "today"- right about 9.30am if,I am out Hiking or Hunting would be the time I start hearing that " Drone" that gets nearer. That Spring or Fall Turkey Hunt is over. 

Since 1999 - when Sterling Forest became  State Land- the same year as Stewart State Forest did as well- I have had many Hunts ruined.  Alot of the ATV drivers have Gun Cases in the back. It is what it is.  Very common in Sterling Forest State Park.

I have some state land that borders land my uncle owns. If I’m out hunting and they are out riding on state land I call my buddy who is a forest ranger in region 7. I don’t understand when there are signs all over around the trails through the woods that say “motorized vehicles prohibited “ that people still ride in there. And it’s not hunters. It’s kids on their dirt bikes and 4 wheelers riding the roads for a mile or 2 to get these trails on the state land from their neighborhoods because they can’t ride there. 

My land borders state land. It's a never ending battle to kick them out. It's risky for me too, but there's no way I'm just letting it happen if  I catch them. Lucky there is a new park police guy that is very active getting rid of them. It's getting better.

On other land I hunt, it's so disappointing to hike miles, and up steep terrain only to have a quad that's not supposed to be there ride by after I get set up. 

Another place I hunt actually has a quad club on it. The deer are used to it here and move about pretty normally. Just annoying to hear the noise.

26 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It’s a shame this state does so little for atv/dirt bikes! They sure as hell take our registration money but do next to nothing to give us public places to ride. 

So many things could be done in the Dacks to improve it. Including ATV trail riding. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

I’m all for the state making atv trails seems foolish not to have then.

there’s one piece that comes to mind that I would be fine with them running atvs and dirt bikes during non deer season but the people who go on this particular piece trash the woods and have ruined the trails a couple people like to ride horses on, leave beer cans every where and this past year they started cutting small trees and brush to make their own trails.   

If they allowed the trails open and had an atv club help maintain them and help insure properties aren’t destroyed I would support it 100%.

18 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It’s a shame this state does so little for atv/dirt bikes! They sure as hell take our registration money but do next to nothing to give us public places to ride. 

12 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I’m all for the state making atv trails seems foolish not to have then.

there’s one piece that comes to mind that I would be fine with them running atvs and dirt bikes during non deer season but the people who go on this particular piece trash the woods and have ruined the trails a couple people like to ride horses on, leave beer cans every where and this past year they started cutting small trees and brush to make their own trails.   

If they allowed the trails open and had an atv club help maintain them and help insure properties aren’t destroyed I would support it 100%.

The few ruin it for the many.  In my experience on state land, were ATV use is illegal, they have torn the trails & land apart.  They do not utilize it softly as a trail, like horseback riders. They utilize it like a motocross track.   IF the state were to open some land up, where and when? It will interfere with some other activity or factor.  How would they monitor/police it? They are already understaffed to catch the current illegal use?  How would they keep the motocross motorcycles off, especially those without fire suppression baffles?  What about the the stress/harassment of the animals?  I also thought state land is supposed to be "forever wild"?

Edited by DoubleDose
addition