Jump to content
IGNORED

Southern VT Primitive Biathlon


Splitear

Recommended Posts

  • Splitear changed the title to Southern VT Primitive Biathlon
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Is anyone else planning on going to this tomorrow, or looking for something to do on a Saturday. I’m going to head over in the morning and stay most of the day. It’d be fun to meet up is anyone else is going.

https://www.svtpb.org/

I'll be helping my buddy get the sap house ready to boil.  Got all our tapping done yesterday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mowin said:

So how was the event?  

It was awesome! Not a lot of snow, so I did it as a woods walk. My gun was giving me some fits due to me having some oil in the breech, but once it straightened out, I didn’t shoot half bad.  They count each hammer fall as a shot, so after the first station, I wasn’t worried about placing :)

I meet some really cool people from all over the northeast. One of the guys I shot with worked for Thompson Center in repairs for 15 years, and told me a simple way to clean the TC patent breech.

At the last station I recognized a fellow from a YouTube video I had watched, and we had a great conversation, that ended in him letting me shoot his matchlock, which I actually hit the target with!

I went to a local bar for lunch and struck up conversation with a former pro rugby player from Scotland who was in town for a wedding. He asked me a lot about Muzzleloading, and I learned a lot about pro rugby.

Really, an awesome day. Here’s the guy with the matchlock.

 

 

Edited by Splitear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Splitear said:

It was awesome! Not a lot of snow, so I did it as a woods walk. My gun was giving me some fits due to me having some oil in the breech, but once it straightened out, I didn’t shoot half bad.  They count each hammer fall as a shot, so after the first station, I wasn’t worried about placing :)

I meet some really cool people from all over the northeast. One of the guys I shot with worked for Thompson Center in repairs for 15 years, and told me a simple way to clean the TC patent breech.

At the last station I recognized a fellow from a YouTube video I had watched, and we had a great conversation, that ended in him letting me shoot his matchlock, which I actually hit the target with!

I went to a local bar for lunch and struck up conversation with a former pro rugby player from Scotland who was in town for a wedding. He asked me a lot about Muzzleloading, and I learned a lot about pro rugby.

Really, an awesome day. Here’s the guy with the matchlock.

 

 

Sounds like a great time. That matchlock is interesting..  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

It was awesome! Not a lot of snow, so I did it as a woods walk. My gun was giving me some fits due to me having some oil in the breech, but once it straightened out, I didn’t shoot half bad.  They count each hammer fall as a shot, so after the first station, I wasn’t worried about placing :)

I meet some really cool people from all over the northeast. One of the guys I shot with worked for Thompson Center in repairs for 15 years, and told me a simple way to clean the TC patent breech.

At the last station I recognized a fellow from a YouTube video I had watched, and we had a great conversation, that ended in him letting me shoot his matchlock, which I actually hit the target with!

I went to a local bar for lunch and struck up conversation with a former pro rugby player from Scotland who was in town for a wedding. He asked me a lot about Muzzleloading, and I learned a lot about pro rugby.

Really, an awesome day. Here’s the guy with the matchlock.

 

 

Just saw this thread today. Too bad. I would have went with ya just as an observer. Was a real nice day yesterday. And you getting to shoot that matchlock had to be really cool! Glad you had a good time! Perhaps next year we can meet up over there. I love the drive over to Manchester. We usually make the trip to Weston, and surrounding areas a few times a year. The Hex is a great place to eat while in Manchester. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

Just saw this thread today. Too bad. I would have went with ya just as an observer. Was a real nice day yesterday. And you getting to shoot that matchlock had to be really cool! Glad you had a good time! Perhaps next year we can meet up over there. I love the drive over to Manchester. We usually make the trip to Weston, and surrounding areas a few times a year. The Hex is a great place to eat while in Manchester. 

That would be great @grampy  I’m thinking next year I may bring a group of my 4-H kids over now that I know what to expect. I’d love to have you along. Next time I see a similar event I’ll get in touch and maybe we can go. I’ll even bring an extra sidelock along in case you want to shoot.
Really, it’s a great group of very friendly people who share a passion for Blackpowder guns, what more could you ask for!

Edited by Splitear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Splitear said:

That would be great @grampy  I’m thinking next year I may bring a group of my 4-H kids over now that I know what to expect. I’d love to have you along. Next time I see a similar event I’ll get in touch and maybe we can go. I’ll even bring an extra sidelock along in case you want to shoot.
Really, it’s a great group of very friendly people who share a passion for Blackpowder guns, what more could you ask for!

Don't forget about me.  If we're available, the wife and I might tag along. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...