IGNORED

My favorite way to prepare squirrel. What's yours?

mowin

• 9 months later...

When I lived in the western St. Louis suburbs, I met a buddy and we hunted squirrels and deer there together. Squirrel season started on Memorial Day weekend which was way early compared to living on the East Coast, and they had both grays and fox squirrels. Buddy’s wife was from a poor area of Georgia and she grew up cooking squirrels in crock pots. Wish I had her recipe, but the way she made them was amazing. She always yelled at us because we were using shotguns and not .22s, so she spent lots of time digging out shot pellets. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

13 hours ago, left field said:

I just tried something similar to this and completely screwed it up. It called for 10 minutes per side but the batter was burnt in no time at all. Thought I was at medium heat. 

Any tips? 

10 minutes a side is too long.  Maybe oil too hot also.  I fry until batter is golden brown and crispy.  

2 hours ago, left field said:

I wasn't sure what the cooked meat was supposed to look like. Is it dark?

I took the squirrels with a shotgun and it opened up the stomach contents, so dressing was a bit of a mess. I cleaned it as well as I could but wanted to be cautious with the cooking.

Oh well, back to the woods.

It is a dark meat.  Did you break them down before cooking? That will lessen the cook time. 

1 minute ago, Ncountry said:

Sort of off topic, but have you ever hunted squirrels with dogs.. We met a fellow at a parking spot here in Ohio that was headed out squirrel hunting with a dog. I've never heard of that before.

I've heard of it, just never had the opportunity to try it. 

4 hours ago, mowin said:

Yes, nothing is deboned.  It shouldn't take more than 3-5 min on either side, even the backbone piece. They are not that thick. 

Will try with next round.

3 hours ago, Ncountry said:

Sort of off topic, but have you ever hunted squirrels with dogs.. We met a fellow at a parking spot here in Ohio that was headed out squirrel hunting with a dog. I've never heard of that before.

There are all kinds of curs and feists down south that are used for squirrels.