IGNORED

Saving money on meat

josephmrtn

Here's a money saving tip for y'all, with the outrageous prices of meat the last year or so we no longer can afford to buy pork chops or other sliced meat on a regular basis, instead we cut our own. Yesterday I got this 8¼ lb pork loin at Sam's club for $16.28. cut I up today into 3/4" pork chops and it made 27 of them which is roughly enough for 5 meals for our current family size. I bag them up into ziplock bags and put them in the freezer until we are ready to use them. I've also done the same thing with beef loins or like a round eye cut, although the price on those yesterday was around $130 a piece. Just sharing how we save money and still afford to keep some meat in our kids diet when we don't have venison and get tired of eating chicken. Hope this helps some folks20230116_143436.jpg.f8ce8945b5a85b99d15ff24ce8341ae0.jpg20230116_144238.jpg.39fe53f234507f8bc7d2cf4ceae47afe.jpg

We’ve been buying bulk meats for over 25 years. We vacuum seal after cutting into portion size, write date and what’s inside, and freeze them for later use.  Costco has been our main go to store, but anytime there’s a sale, we buy bulk and break it down from there. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

17 minutes ago, paula said:

If I see chicken for sale for 99 or less I buy all I can. The beef I get comes vacuumed sealed. My pigs come in paper and I vacuum seal it. 

I actually was given a few packs of venison for Christmas 

Yup .99lb whole birds. I love chicken thighs and drumsticks so at .99 lb. We buy all we can too. Chicken leg quarters used to be able to get them for .39 lb by the 10 lb bag. Not anymore at grand union or iga or locally owned supermarket.

Like most of you we have also been buying in bulk for years. When we see a good sale we buy a lot then freeze it in vacuum freezer bags in one meal sized portions. We will buy whole loins and break it down into whatever we want then freezer it. It really helps to save money. 

I do the same when there's room in the freezer. If I see meat on sale, especially around holidays (turkey or ham), I'll grab a few and throw them in the freezer. I do the same with pork or beef or chicken that I see on sale. I'll buy what I have room for, take it home and repackage/vacuum seal it and then into the freezer it goes.