IGNORED

Live From The Water 2023 Freshwater Edition!

The_Real_TCIII

I'm in too deep!

After stopping at a shop in CT right near an Orvis in CT (and with the blessing of @The_Real_TCIII), I decided to go with the Echo 10' 3wt over the Orvis Clearwater. My primary reason was the Orvis salesman was so frickin pushy and a touch snobbish. Insisted I needed a dedicated reel and euro fly line and their pre-tied sighters and tippits. Eventually he figured out I had some idea that I knew what I was talking about (thanks to Tacks) and he knew I wasn't dropping $500+ for him that day and then just shut down the pitch. 

Can't wait to give it a test drive hopefully soon.

10B18123-0695-4307-BE55-2C7CA9C22438.jpeg

Edited by crappyice

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Tale of 2 NY's....50 degrees and a touch breezy...got my first fish with the new rod and have officially joined the dark side!!! Native brown as this stretch is not stocked.

FDBD05C4-6827-4A67-9BCE-0DD4F152D24A.jpeg

Catching trout in January is a sweet thing.  Might as well join Tacks' trout a month being off to a good start. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Stubborn1vt said:

Finally got out on the ice on Champlain.  8-10" of ice.  Beautiful afternoon.  Almost no weeds though, so just hundreds of 4-6" perch.  This was my go-to bay for bluegills the past few years.  Going to have to do some looking around I guess.  

Thats how Chautauqua fishes, 100s of perch but maybe 20 worth cleaning typically

On 1/29/2023 at 1:56 PM, Skillet said:

I saw some carp through the ice a month or so ago, in this spot. 

Open water now, so I figured why not try for them like I do all summer.

Was an awesome fight. IMG_20230129_134054025_BURST005.jpg.9c505d1f03d8b4e8166763ee43cadc85.jpg

Whats your go to method? We would bottom fish with a mash of wheaties and strawberry soda lol

33 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Whats your go to method? We would bottom fish with a mash of wheaties and strawberry soda lol

I use a hair rig. It's a really effective way to fool their sensitive mouths. I usually use field corn boiled in cherry Kool-aid. Sometimes I use boilies made with birdseed or coconut.

I fish it on the bottom, with a sliding 3oz sinker. Sounds heavy, but the weight of the sinker helps set the hook when the fish bolts. 

Carp fishing is definitely one of my favorites.

"Who the son sets free, is free indeed"  John 8:36

48 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thats how Chautauqua fishes, 100s of perch but maybe 20 worth cleaning typically

It's usually full of 3-4' tall weeds that hold sunfish.  In the past couple years the state has been killing off weeds in some of the bays.  I think it's something the boaters and camp owners want?  I get it, but shallow water with no weeds doesn't hold anything great for fish.