IGNORED

E-bikes for hunting.

mowin

Figured it ask here as we've got some new members that were not on, or active on the old site. 

Anyone have a e-bike?  I'm seriously thinking about getting one in the spring.  I want a fat tire step through as a plan on using it to get to some of my farthest stands, as well as exercise.  All the ones that are " made for hunters" are stupid expensive.  Lots of different manufacturers to purchase from off the internet, but I worry about repair if something goes wrong as a lot of bike shops will not work on e-bikes they don't sell.  

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Figured it ask here as we've got some new members that were not on, or active on the old site. 

Anyone have a e-bike?  I'm seriously thinking about getting one in the spring.  I want a fat tire step through as a plan on using it to get to some of my farthest stands, as well as exercise.  All the ones that are " made for hunters" are stupid expensive.  Lots of different manufacturers to purchase from off the internet, but I worry about repair if something goes wrong as a lot of bike shops will not work on e-bikes they don't sell.  

There are one or two good posts on the NJ site about just this. Some guys go direct, but everything seems to be built in China (no surprise there). But guys using them love them it seems. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

19 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

There are one or two good posts on the NJ site about just this. Some guys go direct, but everything seems to be built in China (no surprise there). But guys using them love them it seems. 

Ya, not much is made in the USA any longer.  I'll check those threads out. 

1 minute ago, DoubleDose said:

Honest question.  Are they legal on NY state land?  The law reads "no motorized vehicles".

I'm not sure, but I only hunt private, so it doesn't matter to me. I know the bike has to be 750w max or class 2, to ride on NYS roads. 

4 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Honest question.  Are they legal on NY state land?  The law reads "no motorized vehicles".

Very good question! I see plenty of signs in both NY + NJ that reads as above- No Motorized Vehicles.  I only hunt Public and so far have never seen someone  on a E-Bike.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

23 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Very good question! I see plenty of signs in both NY + NJ that reads as above- No Motorized Vehicles.  I only hunt Public and so far have never seen someone  on a E-Bike.

Some of these bikes are difficult to tell the difference from a E-bike to non e bike.  

I'd have to guess, it it says no motorized vehicles, it means just that. 

As someone that mountain biked woods with rides made specifically for doing that, I can tell you it's easy to get hurt on strange or even known trails.   And very hazardous in dim light like you would travel to stand.  The geometry of a bike tends to eject rider if bike front wheel hits object that greatly reduces velocity of bike.  Rock, root, hole or deep depressions will get you in trouble quick if they are unexpected.  Bike stays and you go.    I've done a Superman impression on more than one occasion and have met terminal velocity into tree.  Even when going slow and I can tell you it really hurts.

Always wear a helmet, no exceptions even if traveling known trail.  I've broken helmets and its way better than your head.    You pretty much always go headfirst.  

1 minute ago, hueyjazz said:

As someone that mountain biked woods with rides made specifically for doing that, I can tell you it's easy to get hurt on strange or even known trails.   And very hazardous in dim light like you would travel to stand.  The geometry of a bike tends to eject rider if bike front wheel hits object that greatly reduces velocity of bike.  Rock, root, hole or deep depressions will get you in trouble quick if they are unexpected.  Bike stays and you go.    I've done a Superman impression on more than one occasion and have met terminal velocity into tree.  Even when going slow and I can tell you it really hurts.

Always wear a helmet, no exceptions even if traveling known trail.  I've broken helmets and its way better than your head.    You pretty much always go headfirst.  

I have Biked in plenty  of times during the Pre- Dawn on my Schwinn Mountain Bike with my Shotgun slung over my Shoulder in cris- cross fashion. 

Never fallen yet. It is like " biking in a dream" is the best way,I can describe it. I always go slow and with a good wide beam flashlight. No helmet for me though. I only Bike on Flat Woodsroads that,I know every inch of in the Pre-Dawn.  Usually though,I walk in.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Id love to have one but hope theyre never allowed on public. Following along to see what you find

Curious as to why you feel that way?  They aren't like a dirt bike, but rather more like a regular bike that you can fully peddle, peddle assist or go full electric.  They aren't all that fast, just nice and quiet way to get to your stand.  Add a trailer and they are a great way to haul game out after you score.  Here in NJ where illegal ATV riding is an epidemic, I wish we could replace all of those with e-bikes instead.  

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

25 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Curious as to why you feel that way?  They aren't like a dirt bike, but rather more like a regular bike that you can fully peddle, peddle assist or go full electric.  They aren't all that fast, just nice and quiet way to get to your stand.  Add a trailer and they are a great way to haul game out after you score.  Here in NJ where illegal ATV riding is an epidemic, I wish we could replace all of those with e-bikes instead.  

Honestly I dont want it any easier to access. If fully motorized vehicles were proposed would you be ok with that?