IGNORED

Pheasant Stocking.

blackbeltbill

I used to enjoy Pheasant  Stocking back when,I was a member of the Monroe-Chester Sportsman's Club.  I had to drop out after 35 years due to rising yearly dues to the club and rising Pheasant Preserve fees. It is a Rich man's  Club now- but,I digress.

My Father taught me how to properly  release those Pheasants so that they will not Fly off the Preserve.  Snuggly  hold that Pheasant- not too tight and slowly and gently push down on the Pheasants  head . Rock slowly to each side a good 4-5 times and gently place that Pheasant  down in Heavy underbrush.  

And the key is to back out slowly and avoid eye contact with the Pheasant.  Do all this correctly  and that Pheasant  will stay right there. Both Roosters and Hens.

Every step you need to be Gentle. 

I helped with Pheasant  Stocking for many years. Hell of alot of Fun!  

MCSC has a good 700 Acres in Bloomingrove.  I dropped out in 2010. The Club Dues and Pheasant  Preserve Dues must be both approaching $400 apiece by now. I believe  back in 2009,I was paying a good $350 for both.

And,I understand  that the Pheasants  themselves are going way up in price.  

It is probably  good to have the Releasers start their Pheasant  Hunt in a different  area. 

I remember one Releaser-- John- long retired at the time who would always  hunt a  section of a Highline that he Seeded with Pheasants-- Roosters of course...  John had a partner- also Long retired . Those 2 would bang out those Pheasants  right away on that Highline.

You would think they both would have limited it out with 2 Pheasants  apiece.  But they both kept going . 

Now my Brother in law Mark and,I were aware of where John and his Partner would seed more Pheasants. We observed that John would walk down from that Highline with his partner and head right to a area of a few Blowdowns with heavy low foliage around them. 

More Rooster Pheasants  would explode up.   These 2 had a Bonanza going! Never mind that they were taking over the limit..

After a few Saturdays  of watching this- Mark and,I formulated a plan to get down to that Blowdown area before John finished his Highline hunt.

I kept BEN- my Black Lab on the Leash   and let him off in that Lower Field as we got close to the Blowdowns. A good 3 Roosters got up. I got one of them and Mark killed 2.

And down quick walks John from " his" highline. Mouth open wide -- Priceless- lol!

I always wondered why no members would themselves  hunt that Particular  stretch of Highline until after John was done with it.

So one Fall day,I decided to take BEN in there and hunt that Stretch before anyone else. I blasted out 2 Rooster Pheasants and had my limit in less then 10 minutes. 

Can you believe  ol John had a few choice words for me about hunting in his area.  I just said something  to the effect that,I pay my Dues also and put BEN on the Leash- which was a rule if you limited out to prevent your Dog from kicking up anymore Pheasants. 

Coming out one Day with My Brother in law and signing out in the log Book- time out/2 Pheasants- a member was having a heated discussion  with the Pheasant  Preserve Chairman- Mark O. 

He was talking about John still being out and Hunting after close to 1 hour and shooting often. I remember  the member saying- He must have his Limit by now!! The member said he drives up from Long Island to hunt here .  Has to be a good 60 miles+ for that  member.

I don't  know what came of the rest of that discussion  as,I was leaving- but John was extremely  good friends with the Pheasant  Preserve Chairman..

Hope Y'ALL enjoyed the Thread. That is what it is all about.

Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I’m joining Monroe Chester and it’s not that bad cost wise to be a member $300 a year are the dues. If you want to pheasant hunt it’s a side pay of $500 for a few months of pheasants of hunting. With the cost of going to a preserve it’s a home run in my mind. Land though is 450 acres leased in blooming grove though. 

6 minutes ago, Gsphntr said:

I’m joining Monroe Chester and it’s not that bad cost wise to be a member $300 a year are the dues. If you want to pheasant hunt it’s a side pay of $500 for a few months of pheasants of hunting. With the cost of going to a preserve it’s a home run in my mind. Land though is 450 acres leased in blooming grove though. 

Good Luck!   I loved that Club.I had 10 more years to make Life member  and no more dues. Just got too expensive. 

Can't  believe  that Pheasant  Preserve went up to $500 Bucks!!! 

The Club used to have alot more Land. Many Hundreds of acres up near Pine Bush and Stoneschool house Rd.  2 places to park up there as well. When the MCSC had both that and Bloomingrove- there was no crowding of Pheasant  and Deer Hunters.

You will like the Skeet and Trap range at MCSC!  Both my Father and,I won Registered  Skeet Shoots right there. My Father was the Chairman of the Skeet and Trap Committee, Past President and vice President of the Club, and never got Voted off the Board of Directors for well over a Decade. 

I dropped out back in 2010. After losing the Awesome Chunk of Land up near Pine Bush- the Bloomingrove  Preserve got too Crowded for me.

My Father had me Pulling Skeet at age 11 and worked to age 15.   That was my first Job. Used to get Tipped a Dime and plenty of guys would shoot 4-5 Rounds of Skeet and stiff the kid- lol!

Enjoy the Club.

55 minutes ago, Gsphntr said:

You still have to follow the NYS daily bag limit right? 

9 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You still have to follow the NYS daily bag limit right? 

Right. 2 Pheasants or 2 Chuckar Partridges + 1 Pheasant or 3 Chuckars alone.  That is what,I remember.  

Problem  with Chuckar Partridges is if they get a little bit wet- the Hunting Dog can get to them and fetch the bird back to the Hunter. And that is part of your bag. They just won't  fly even half wet.

Quail  were released  also. Just in 1 area of a cleared cornfield above the creek. Chairman Mark O and close buddies would hurry up there. Only one time did ,I ever get my bag of 3 Quail.  I hurried  on down. Had my 18" Swamp Walkers on to get across the creek and powered up the bank to the Rockwall and cleared cornfield. Quail flushed up everywhere!  

Here comes the Chairman and 3 buddies up the Rockwall line looking to hunt their Quail.   They were not happy,I got there first.

Seriously, I hope Mark O is no longer the chairman of that Pheasant Preserve because the Quail  should be available  in more then 1 spot for all the other members.

11 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Right. 2 Pheasants or 2 Chuckar Partridges + 1 Pheasant or 3 Chuckars alone.  That is what,I remember.  

Problem  with Chuckar Partridges is if they get a little bit wet- the Hunting Dog can get to them and fetch the bird back to the Hunter. And that is part of your bag. They just won't  fly even half wet.

Quail  were released  also. Just in 1 area of a cleared cornfield above the creek. Chairman Mark O and close buddies would hurry up there. Only one time did ,I ever get my bag of 3 Quail.  I hurried  on down. Had my 18" Swamp Walkers on to get across the creek and powered up the bank to the Rockwall and cleared cornfield. Quail flushed up everywhere!  

Here comes the Chairman and 3 buddies up the Rockwall line looking to hunt their Quail.   They were not happy,I got there first.

Seriously, I hope Mark O is no longer the chairman of that Pheasant Preserve because the Quail  should be available  in more then 1 spot for all the other members.

For that bag limit, its almost not even worth it. I usually get my limit or at least one bird when I hunt Stewart or LI. Only thing that'll make it worth it is if you can hunt till April 15th like the other preserves. That's of course for me though. I'm sure its worth the price for people who live close and can take advantage of it. 

4 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

For that bag limit, its almost not even worth it. I usually get my limit or at least one bird when I hunt Stewart or LI. Only thing that'll make it worth it is if you can hunt till April 15th like the other preserves. That's of course for me though. I'm sure its worth the price for people who live close and can take advantage of it. 

One of the reasons why I am joining is it’s 30 mins from me and I’m done hunting state land especially in NJ for birds. A lot of inconsiderate hunters. My dog almost got shot a couple times by guys jumping in hedgerows right next to us and then shooting our way.  That cost compared to what is spent on going to preserves is a home run. 

10 minutes ago, Gsphntr said:

One of the reasons why I am joining is it’s 30 mins from me and I’m done hunting state land especially in NJ for birds. A lot of inconsiderate hunters. My dog almost got shot a couple times by guys jumping in hedgerows right next to us and then shooting our way.  That cost compared to what is spent on going to preserves is a home run. 

Then it makes sense. For me it doesn't because I wouldn't be able to use it more than once a weekend, which I can easily have luck at state lands. I go in the afternoon when only a few bird hunters are out. Can you hunt until April or does the preserve have to follow NYS hunting seasons?

49 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Then it makes sense. For me it doesn't because I wouldn't be able to use it more than once a weekend, which I can easily have luck at state lands. I go in the afternoon when only a few bird hunters are out. Can you hunt until April or does the preserve have to follow NYS hunting seasons?

AT- probably  the same as the year,I dropped out- 2010. Still up on a closer door is the " odd- even schedule. 

Late March

20230208_142652.jpg