IGNORED

Getting ready for lean-to addition

G-man

Dropped a couple of trees . Red pine and a norway spruce..   cutting them to 12 ft  to make 2x6 for a new lean to on barn this spring.  

Need ground to freeze up to haul  them out to staging area for saw mill  when weather brakes. 20230210_105614.jpg.69350148ff9a7073adec8853bac074df.jpg20230210_103042.jpg.826a17daeecc16198e4666c3668b4959.jpggot 5 12 ft out of spruce and 3  out of red pine and a couple of 8ft..

Should saw up nice  butt logs are 23 in . 

I am going to do something similar soon on my barn.  I will be putting a 7 ft wide x 25 ft long lean to on the back of the back porch.  

The frame will be made from roughly 6” square, hand-hewn posts and beams recovered from the old “1883” barn that I recently finished dismantling.  I think they are mostly made from American chestnut.  I tarped them, to keep them from turning to powder, over the winter.  

I am going to cut the rafters for the lean to from rough-sawed white oak rafters  that I also recovered from that old barn.  I will roof it with 8 ft long sheets of green steel, leftover from the pole barn.  

“Stockade buildings” topped each bundle of gray steel siding and roofing with a green sheet of the same gauge, in order to protect the gray ones from shipping damage.  I don’t mind a few scratches or the contrasting green-colored roof on the firewood-storage lean to out back, mostly because the price is right (free) on the materials.   It would be worse if you could see it from the road.  

I was originally planning on using that 10 ft wide x 25 ft long back porch for my firewood storage, but I needed more inside room.  My current plan is to enclose that back porch with recovered Chestnut barn siding, after I finish building the new firewood storage lean to on the back of it.  

With all this crappy, wet spring/fall weather we are getting lately, it seems like you just can’t have too much inside storage/work space.  

I also don’t particularly care for storing my firewood outside under tarps.  Hopefully, there will be no more of that needed here after another month or two.  The best thing about covered firewood storage, is that there is no practical limit on how long you can keep it.  That could be a long time, if we keep getting warm winters like this one.  

Some of the firewood, that I have been burning in the house this winter, has been stored in my great great grandad’s old barns for over 140 years.  It burns just as good or better than the 2 or 3 year old stuff that I normally burn.  

EBB7A86C-3E14-4DD4-81DC-ECE48664B414.jpeg.c5c076c4fc5897c1f5646e4389ff6a52.jpeg

5C9E78B7-DA58-4A2C-AC5E-23479555CD5C.jpeg.f0b26b4311f5cebd551a665cd8fd8e40.jpeg