IGNORED

Scopes

sbuff

40 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Do you guys that use the bigger higher power scopes ever use the higher magnifications?

largest scope I own is a 2.5x8x36 and I think that’s too big. Other than sighting in I don’t think I’ve ever turned it past 3 or 4X. All of my other rifles have 1-4/6X and I’ve never felt like I needed/wanted more?

I have moved to 2x7 scopes on most of my rifles and shotguns, mainly because the areas I hunt are heavily wooded and there aren't opportunities to take 100+ yard shots. I typically keep the scope down at 2x and I might adjust it up once I have the crosshair on a deer. The only guns that have 3x9's are my target 22 and my 742 Woodmaster in 30-06 which I rarely break out of the case.

The strongest scope I use is a Nikon 4-12x. I typically hunt from a stand over fields where a shot could be anywhere from 20yds to 200yds. At shorter range, I keep the scope dialed down to 3 or 4x, but those longer shots, I tend to increase it to 7-10x. I don't know that I've ever gone higher in the field. When using a lower power at longer range, I feel like I'm putting the "X" on the front half of the body rather than picking the specific spot that I'm aiming at, like right behind the shoulder.

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Do you guys that use the bigger higher power scopes ever use the higher magnifications?

largest scope I own is a 2.5x8x36 and I think that’s too big. Other than sighting in I don’t think I’ve ever turned it past 3 or 4X. All of my other rifles have 1-4/6X and I’ve never felt like I needed/wanted more?

Sighting in is reason enough to opt for higher adjustable mag range. 

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

not really for me. My biggest is 3.5-10. I do like the 10 when hunting a field, but only very recently did I ever start hunting a field/plot. Otherwise 4x was the most I ever went too, and even that was rare.

I think for most NY or forested woods hunter a 3-9 is the right size. 

Edited by Belo

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

if all you ever hunt in is big woods you wouldn't need a high power scope. especially tracking you leave it lower to get on target faster and track something running without losing it. if you're shooting across a body of water, clear cut, or open mature timber it helps to have some. for big game rifles most of my scopes go from 3-9x. i have one that goes to 12x.

the 223 Rem long range varmint rifle goes to 18x and i could use a little more. for ARs i have 1-6x on the 450 and 1-8x on the 556 that's plenty for what they can do.

might not need it but i can shoot tighter groups with more magnification at distance. i feel like that is a common understanding though.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

not really for me. My biggest is 3.5-10. I do like the 10 when hunting a field, but only very recently did I ever start hunting a field/plot. Otherwise 4x was the most I ever went too, and even that was rare.

I think for most NY or forested woods hunter a 3-9 is the right size. 

Same here, until  last yr when I took my longest shot at 153 yards only then I need magnification past 4x

57 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

if all you ever hunt in is big woods you wouldn't need a high power scope. especially tracking you leave it lower to get on target faster and track something running without losing it. if you're shooting across a body of water, clear cut, or open mature timber it helps to have some. for big game rifles most of my scopes go from 3-9x. i have one that goes to 12x.

the 223 Rem long range varmint rifle goes to 18x and i could use a little more. for ARs i have 1-6x on the 450 and 1-8x on the 556 that's plenty for what they can do.

might not need it but i can shoot tighter groups with more magnification at distance. i feel like that is a common understanding though.

1 to 6 on the AR is money. First focal plane too if you can. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

1 to 6 on the AR is money. First focal plane too if you can. 

it's a second focal plane reticle Vortex Viper PST Gen II that posted in the the big bore AR build thread. ive really had no issues 6x isn't that high of magnification to where i need to be set higher or lower and worry about exact hold over or windage. First Focal plane reticles really shine or become a necessity when your magnification gets up there higher than 9x in magnification IMHO.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

For big woods hunting I use a peep sight. I hunt fields at home, longest shot on a deer was 386 and that was with a 1-4X. I have stands that I can shoot 500yds, my range at the house goes to 570 and usually don’t have trouble hitting the 8” gong. I would never shoot a doe anywhere close to that far and I don’t shoot bucks that I would struggle to see the antlers with at that distance with 4X. Our rifles in the Marine corps had 3-10’s and I don’t feel like I ever had them above 5-6X shooting out past 800yds.

For zeroing a little more magnification is helpful but I don’t have a rifle that shoots much better than an inch group and can usually do that with a lower powered scope from a lead sled. 

I guess it’s just what you’re used to, I might have to pick up a scope with a little more zoom to see what I’m missing. 

Edited by Buckmaster7600

57 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

For big woods hunting I use a peep sight. I hunt fields at home, longest shot on a deer was 386 and that was with a 1-4X. I have stands that I can shoot 500yds, my range at the house goes to 570 and usually don’t have trouble hitting the 8” gong. I would never shoot a doe anywhere close to that far and I don’t shoot bucks that I would struggle to see the antlers with at that distance with 4X. Our rifles in the Marine corps had 3-10’s and I don’t feel like I ever had them above 5-6X shooting out past 800yds.

For zeroing a little more magnification is helpful but I don’t have a rifle that shoots much better than an inch group and can usually do that with a lower powered scope from a lead sled. 

I guess it’s just what you’re used to, I might have to pick up a scope with a little more zoom to see what I’m missing. 

i'm not the best shot out there and wasn't in the military. more you zoom the more you move. some people are okay with it and some aren't. i grew up on the family farm as a kid hunting with rifles. i had the ability to shoot further than typical in the northeastern whitetail woods. probably nothing compared to a kid out in central or western US though. over the years I've just come to the conclusion that magnification can help me shrink my groups. i wouldn't not trying it, even if it turns out you personally shoot better with less magnification.

i forgot about mirage, but you probably already have experience with that. that can make you back off magnification in a hurry if you're zoomed in too far things get too distorted and dance around. we'd get that in warm months coming off the hay fields.

Edited by dbHunterNY