IGNORED

Turkey Contests: Member Feedback Wanted!

nywaw

Turkey Contest poll  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a separate Youth contest and will be entering a youth into it?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is a $25 entry fee for an Individual contest good?

• Just right
    • Prefer Higher
    • Prefer Lower
  3. 3. I'm interested in joining the Adult Team contest(s)

• Team Only
    • Individual Only
    • Team and Individual

Hey all, just working on getting contests set up and on the NJ site we usually run an Adult contest (Team and Individual) and a Youth contest (Individual).  Given this site just kicked off, I was thinking about just running one contest, but wanted to open it up to see what you all thought.  Are many of you taking out youths that you'd want to enter as a hunting sponsor (not a site sponsor, just the adult they'd be hunting with)?  The youth doesn't need to be a member of the site, but you will need to act as their sponsor (i.e. can be a parent, a relative, a friend, etc) and manage their entries, etc.  This process has worked well on the NJ site for years.

Also, we generally run the following:

1. Adult Team contest where entry is FREE
    • Teams are drawn randomly and size depends on the number of entries
  2. Adult Individual contest where entry is $25 (collected and awarded/distributed by the site)
  3. Youth Individual contest where entry is FREE

There will also be a Donation section to the contests where the site donates and members can donate if they'd like.

Not sure if that structure sounds good to you all, but wanted to kick that around as well.

I don't mind the fees, but seeing we've got a limited amount of members, maybe this year would be best as a free entry.  Especially for the youth season, as I'm going to imagine there will only be a handful of entrees. 

Edited by mowin

The old site had a youth contest a few times.  I don't remember who ran it, but it was fueled by donation's.  Calls, gift cards, miscellaneous hunting gear were the norm, all donated by other members.    

1 hour ago, mowin said:

The old site had a youth contest a few times.  I don't remember who ran it, but it was fueled by donation's.  Calls, gift cards, miscellaneous hunting gear were the norm, all donated by other members.    

It might have been- Letemfly that was involved  with the Youth Contest.

There is someone using the same username on oldgobbler.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

2 hours ago, mowin said:

I don't mind the fees, but seeing we've got a limited amount of members, maybe this year would be best as a free entry.  Especially for the youth season, as I'm going to imagine there will only be a handful of entrees. 

So as noted, Youth is always FREE to enter their contest.  The Adult Team contest is FREE to enter, but the Adult Individual is the one with a fee but we could make it FREE as well if that is preferred.

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

I tried to add my vote for the team and individual, but it wouldn't let me. Assuming it's because I've already voted before you added that. 

Hmm does look like you can't undo your vote and revote.  OK let me figure out how to restore it.

2 hours ago, nywaw said:

So as noted, Youth is always FREE to enter their contest.  The Adult Team contest is FREE to enter, but the Adult Individual is the one with a fee but we could make it FREE as well if that is preferred.

i think FREE would increase participation. There's some in here that aren't as dedicated when it comes to turkey hunting, so the idea of some avid turkey hunters in here might be intimidating. then you have others that have the mindset that some of us private land folks have the luxury of flopping birds at will. I say keep it free and fun, or at least pretty cheap.

OK I think we'll probably wind up doing a FREE Adult Team and FREE Adult Individual contest, and split any donations 50/50 between them.

The question now becomes if we will have enough Youths to have a Youth contest.  I would say we need at least 3.

47 minutes ago, nywaw said:

OK I think we'll probably wind up doing a FREE Adult Team and FREE Adult Individual contest, and split any donations 50/50 between them.

The question now becomes if we will have enough Youths to have a Youth contest.  I would say we need at least 3.

Agreed.  I'll donate a slate or some sort of call for the youth contest. 

Edited by mowin