IGNORED

Bino Power Recommendation

ShootEm

Hey All,

Likely in the market for a new pair of binos for the upcoming season and figured I'd get opinions on power for the Northeast woods we all traipse through. Currently I'm using some Vortex Diamondback HD's in 10x28, which are okay, however I feel with that magnification at that field of view, finding objects can be a challenge at times.

Most spots are a mix of hardwoods, swamps, and the typical hilly country. Not much in the way of fields, and those that are there are by no means hundreds and hundreds of yards long. I've narrowed it down (I think) to 8x42 and 10x42, which comes as no surprise, I'm sure. I don't know if there's really an appreciable difference between the two choices to where there is a clear-cut winner or loser.

With that being said, what do you recommend? Feel free to include what you're using (brand and power) and how you like them!

Most people do better with 8 power than 10 when first putting them to your eyes to look at something. If you don’t use binoculars regularly, I’d suggest sticking to 8 power. That said, I’ve been birding my whole life and I prefer 10x. I’m using 10x42 Burris these days. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

I've been using 8x for a long time but I think I'm going 10x on my next set.  Even in thick woods, my goal is to get a close up look of a buck often times before it gets within range so I have time to get in position, call to it, etc.  I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference there will be between 8x and 10x but it seems more advantageous for the longer glassing once the leaves drop and the woods open up in late fall.

I have Nikon 10X50 and I like them alot!! Especially for watching fields. For the money they are great. 

But I wanted something smaller and compact, easy to carry. So I just picked up these Nikon 10X25 and they are perfect! Crystal clear, great detail, and nice for checking out the wooded ridges I like to hunt. Best $100 I've spent in awhile!

20230702_150547.thumb.jpg.05b7522fd02e17419ead52172c0441d6.jpg

20230704_130758.thumb.jpg.20ec4c2d92256a1163338572fe42d81a.jpg

Timely topic.  I recently decided I wanted to start using them again, but didn't want to hump around my big ones  (10x50 something Steiner's), and was always frustrated by little ones I had (8x28 probably).   I wanted to get a "decent" pair, no more cheapies, but not something crazy  priced ( crazy for how little they'll get used)  I found a closeout on some 3/4 tier Nikons.  Not cheap, but not crazy? (but probably closer to the crazy side of the scale than I needed  though really) But I had a tough time choosing between 8x40 and 10x40.  What made me decide was my large ones are already 10x. That and the internet seems to strongly suggest 8x, especially for in woods use.  So I followed their advice that's what I bought. 

They came a week a couple weeks ago.  Nice package all in all, decent sized, not too big, not too small. Acceptable weight, real nice image. Very happy.  

Took them for a walk, a little in woods use... and was sorry I didn't buy the 10x.  Doh!  

So.. since I am stupid and do stupid things as if I had more money than I actually do, I went home and checked if they still had an 10x left. I ordered the last pair.  So a family member who also hunts will be getting a brand new pair of nice binoculars!  lol  

The part that bothers me though is, I still got my mid grade binos but at the high grade price. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

Edited by cas

1 hour ago, nywaw said:

I've been using 8x for a long time but I think I'm going 10x on my next set.  Even in thick woods, my goal is to get a close up look of a buck often times before it gets within range so I have time to get in position, call to it, etc.  I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference there will be between 8x and 10x but it seems more advantageous for the longer glassing once the leaves drop and the woods open up in late fall.

You’ll not notice too much on mid ranges. You notice the smaller field of view closer when acquiring smaller targets. At 12X most cant hold them still and the image gets shaky and field of view really is different compared to 8x.

Instead of power the best thing to do is buy better glass. You’ll see “more” especially in thick woods and poor conditions with better glass. 

I went through this dilemma last summer. After extensive research and forum members input, I went with Maven C1 8x42's for NY/CT whitetail hunting. I'll note that I only hardwoods, never open fields or AG. I used them for the 2022 season and loved them. I previously used Nikon Prostaff 10x42's for close to 10 years.

Edited by 2BuckBizCT

22 hours ago, grampy said:

I have Nikon 10X50 and I like them alot!! Especially for watching fields. For the money they are great. 

But I wanted something smaller and compact, easy to carry. So I just picked up these Nikon 10X25 and they are perfect! Crystal clear, great detail, and nice for checking out the wooded ridges I like to hunt. Best $100 I've spent in awhile!

20230702_150547.thumb.jpg.05b7522fd02e17419ead52172c0441d6.jpg

20230704_130758.thumb.jpg.20ec4c2d92256a1163338572fe42d81a.jpg

I carry these same Nikon for bow season. I’m not a fan of fuller frame for eastern whitetail. Out in Missouri I’ll carry my Vanguard Endeavor ED 10x42 but I’m glassing much further and it’s more open. These compact Nikons have done me well for the past several years and I treat them like dog crap and they still work well.

I have my seasonal order for Athlon soon. I will have several different models of theirs. They have quite a few lines but they are getting good feedback for me.

Maven’s are real nice for the money but since they are direct, I don’t have customer feedback.

Remember that the glass makes a big difference. Once you start getting into second and first tier - almost all of the companies are using glass from the same few factories whether internal or contracted. I once read an industry paper on glass for both Binos/spotters and scopes, and something like 90% of the market comes from a handful of glass manufacturers once you step out of China made.

Edited by phade