IGNORED

Deer processing - Aging vs Immediate

crappyice

13 hours ago, Wormser said:

I'll have to get more pics. Inside has 2 inch foam board and the corners are sprayfoamed.  I have a 5000btu GE AC hooked to a Coolbot (8 years running).  The AC is set to Cool and energy saver.  I have a wireless thermometer that shows me the highs/lows for 12 hours so I know it never gets above 40.  I've never had any trouble to this point keeping it cold even when outside temps got in the 80's.  I can hang 3 deer in at a time.  We've ended up using it for other things as well like beer/food storage for parties. 

Was it financially practical.....no....but it's not why I do it. This is us moving it outside after being in my shed that is now a woodshop. It now has siding that matches the house and some decoration so the misses is happy.

20201010_113909.jpg

Sweet settup…i can barely smoosh 2 big deer in my fridge ha!

Got to pull the trigger on a coolbot…everything else is in place 

Over the years, and well over a hundred deer butchered by myself, I have developed a preference for skinning and quartering after 2-5 days of hanging, temperature dependent. A few days of refrigeration and then cutting and vacuum packing. The tenderloins always come out on day 2 and go straight into a Lodge cast iron frying pan. Absolutely the favorite cut from a deer for me.
I’ve tried rib meat a number of times and I just don’t care for it. Deer fat is not palatable to me. 
I do realize that many different taste preferences exist so I’d advise anyone to experiment and learn what they prefer. But I’d encourage everyone to try their hand at butchering their own deer. It really completes the whole hunting to table experience.