IGNORED

Winch for loading deer

Johnl48

I fabricated a winch holder in the back of my pickup for loading a deer. Going to make a simple wood ramp that sits on the gate.  Was planning on using the trailer plug for a power source but read it wouldn't be strong enough,  but that was for a trailer winch for cars....should lift a deer...we'll see

20230916_150758.jpg

I made this a couple years ago. It hinges so you can fold it to the ground ,ratchet strap the deer in then just lift it up and put the pin back in. I used it once on a doe and it was super easy. The best part was calling my buddies shop to ask him about putting a hitch on a cavalier and he said " you're phone sucks ,it's sounds like you said you wanted a trailer hitch on a cavalier " LoL

Screenshot_20230913_104029_Photos.jpg

I think I paid $ 39 for this cargo carrier from Harbor Freight.  It has worked very well for deer up to 183 pounds field-dressed.  It’s nice and low, so usually pretty easy to get them in it, even without any help:

6C3BAAEA-31F3-4D4D-9770-8FC9212FAACD.thumb.jpeg.2b25f4231064f456b8c81048e6957544.jpeg

There might be a fat doe coming home on it tomorrow, from my parents place.  

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

This looks good in theory but there’s LOTS to make it go wrong…lol

Probably easier with a Jet sled and having the deer bungeed down :)

That open line pull of a wobbly body on top of a moving piece of plywood could get funky.  Definitely need a straight pull with a perfectly neutral deer laying on the plywood to get that physics to work out right.

17 minutes ago, nywaw said:

Probably easier with a Jet sled and having the deer bungeed down :)

That open line pull of a wobbly body on top of a moving piece of plywood could get funky.  Definitely need a straight pull with a perfectly neutral deer laying on the plywood to get that physics to work out right.

I've actually used a jet sled and lifted the front edge up onto the tailgate, then lifted the other end and slid it into the truck. 

You just have to remember to strap down the deer, lol..