IGNORED

Peep sight

Had a great morning shooting rolling tires at the sand pit today with some buddies. As more and more of my buddys are getting into hunting the big woods more are switching to peep sights/ghost rings. I have an aim point red dot on an auto 308 that I’ve been shooting all summer and so far I’m a big fan. 

Anyone else prefer a peep sight for some hunting situations?

Absolutely…..all three.

Have a ghost on a 22lr and it’s stupid accurate.Favorite squirrel gun.

Have several Aimpoint products. One short tube 34MM on a slug gun, and an H1 that in a mount that can move between many rifles that all have the same base system. And Aimpoint is true to their word; I had someone to check out the slug gun and I forgot to turn off the dot, 10 months later pulled it out and no problem with battery. That little wafer battery will last years.

On 2 other rifles I have Talley bases and the peep they make is awesome. Perfect for when you want quick follow ups on moving or potentially moving targets.

I want to try a RMR style at some point on a particular rifle, just havent had the chance.

IMG_0369.jpeg

Edited by Dinsdale

18 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Absolutely…..all three.

Have a ghost on a 22lr and it’s stupid accurate.Favorite squirrel gun.

Have several Aimpoint products. One short tube 34MM on a slug gun, and an H1 that in a mount that can move between many rifles that all have the same base system. And Aimpoint is true to their word; I had someone to check out the slug gun and I forgot to turn off the dot, 10 months later pulled it out and no problem with battery. That little wafer battery will last years.

On 2 other rifles I have Talley bases and the peep they make is awesome. Perfect for when you want quick follow ups on moving or potentially moving targets.

I want to try a RMR style at some point on a particular rifle, just havent had the chance.

IMG_0369.jpeg

I use rmr’s on turkey guns but wouldn’t use them on a deer rifle because the way they’re built collects debris and water.

I would love to like the Benoit’s.

But I’m old and my eyes suck. 

I just remembered I bought a Ruger 9mm auto before the semi auto shitshow and that has peep sights. I’ll have to give it a try. 

Would love to carry a rifle without a scope on it. Especially a 7600. 

2 hours ago, Mike103 said:

But I’m old and my eyes suck. 

I just remembered I bought a Ruger 9mm auto before the semi auto shitshow and that has peep sights. I’ll have to give it a try. 

Would love to carry a rifle without a scope on it. Especially a 7600. 

A 760/7600 with a peep is my favorite rifle to kill deer with although my bar is gaining on them. 

IMG_0174.jpeg

IMG_0124.jpeg

3 hours ago, cervidchasers said:

Where did you get a 5 round mag for the Bar, that is the only reason it sits in the safe for me..

Mines a MK3 and came with a 4 round mag in a hinged floor plate. Is yours the DBM? I originally thought that’s what I wanted then change the mag well out with a MK3 but browning wouldn’t sell just the mag well so I got the mk3 and cut the barrel shorter and had sights added.

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Mines a MK3 and came with a 4 round mag in a hinged floor plate. Is yours the DBM? I originally thought that’s what I wanted then change the mag well out with a MK3 but browning wouldn’t sell just the mag well so I got the mk3 and cut the barrel shorter and had sights added.

Yes, I have a DBM, now that you said it, I can see the difference. Enjoyable gun for sure..

On 9/25/2023 at 8:58 AM, Mike103 said:

i met some of them that aren't even around anymore unless i'm mistaken. as they got older and wiser they all had scopes with a decent objective on them bigger than the 24mm LPVO scopes you see now. i was raised around big woods buffalo plaid and grew up shooting a Remington 7600 and 742. Many of my uncles and Grandfather even shot deer multiple times until they dumped. I've shot more than a few bucks running through the woods and how I'd do that with a peep sight and not inherently mark more trees than a forester i have no idea.

i will admit i'm right handed and left eye dominant with a lazy eye that has never allowed both eyes to focus together. a peep or open sights screw me from the start when things happen fast.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:04 PM, dbHunterNY said:

i met some of them that aren't even around anymore unless i'm mistaken. as they got older and wiser they all had scopes with a decent objective on them bigger than the 24mm LPVO scopes you see now. i was raised around big woods buffalo plaid and grew up shooting a Remington 7600 and 742. Many of my uncles and Grandfather even shot deer multiple times until they dumped. I've shot more than a few bucks running through the woods and how I'd do that with a peep sight and not inherently mark more trees than a forester i have no idea.

i will admit i'm right handed and left eye dominant with a lazy eye that has never allowed both eyes to focus together. a peep or open sights screw me from the start when things happen fast.

The Benoits went to scopes when they started hunting Ontario and needed to shoot across those huge clear cuts. I’m a huge peep sight fan but after hunting Ontario last year I’ll have a scope on both my guns I bring up there this year. The terrain and conditions are much different that what we have in the northeast’s big woods. 

That would make shooting a peep very difficult, my left eye is my dominant and I learned to shoot left handed as a teenager when I wanted to start using a peep. 

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The Benoits went to scopes when they started hunting Ontario and needed to shoot across those huge clear cuts. I’m a huge peep sight fan but after hunting Ontario last year I’ll have a scope on both my guns I bring up there this year. The terrain and conditions are much different that what we have in the northeast’s big woods. 

That would make shooting a peep very difficult, my left eye is my dominant and I learned to shoot left handed as a teenager when I wanted to start using a peep. 

eyes get old too. By the time i started chasing deer or tagging along in the late '90s all three brothers and their dad weren't young. More than magnification it gets dark and a 30mm or 40mm scope can gather a lot of light to pick things apart. even close when it's thick. One of the first things i personally learned was how to get on a deer fast with a scope on 3x. you don't move your face and bring the scope to your eye, not the other way around. seemed like i always saw any media of them with scopes and never went back the other way. when i met some of them in harrisburg PA and the show up north here in NY they had older peep sighted rifles to display but said everything they used pretty much had scopes. i think the one displayed might have been the dad's or lanny's that was a 7600 with the butt stock painted and clear coated. that dad larry didn't have much use for a 742. lanny raved about having a scope and even had colored shooting glasses on just hanging out at the show in PA. i don't know what his situation was though. i learned to shoot right handed because that's what we had and what hand we wrote with. i didn't know any different. i can and have shot deer left handed but prefer right after growing up shooting that way. just feels better.

27 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

eyes get old too. By the time i started chasing deer or tagging along in the late '90s all three brothers and their dad weren't young. More than magnification it gets dark and a 30mm or 40mm scope can gather a lot of light to pick things apart. even close when it's thick. One of the first things i personally learned was how to get on a deer fast with a scope on 3x. you don't move your face and bring the scope to your eye, not the other way around. seemed like i always saw any media of them with scopes and never went back the other way. when i met some of them in harrisburg PA and the show up north here in NY they had older peep sighted rifles to display but said everything they used pretty much had scopes. i think the one displayed might have been the dad's or lanny's that was a 7600 with the butt stock painted and clear coated. that dad larry didn't have much use for a 742. lanny raved about having a scope and even had colored shooting glasses on just hanging out at the show in PA. i don't know what his situation was though. i learned to shoot right handed because that's what we had and what hand we wrote with. i didn't know any different. i can and have shot deer left handed but prefer right after growing up shooting that way. just feels better.

You could be correct, i’m just going off what I’ve been told by Lanny. Never got to meet Larry but know lanny and Landon pretty well, they race/raced snowmobiles with my neighbor. 

The light issue has never mattered to me, a ghost ring and a fiber optic front have always gathered plenty of light but I rarely shoot bucks early or late in the day.

A peep is definitely not a necessity, but they’re the faster on target and impervious to the weather. The difference in speed on target is probably a person to person issue and probably never big enough to make a difference but I’m a 1/10 or 2 quicker with a peep than a 1X scope on a shot timer. Add that to never having to worry about snow/rain/ice getting preventing me from seeing my sights is why I hunt with peeps so often. 

I became aware of the Benoit’s in the early 2000’s. I read all their books and watched their videos. 

About that time I found out about Grices Gun Shop in PA who offered special run 7600’s. I bought a 7600 35 Rem carbine and a 35 Whelen 7600 rifle. 

I think reading about the Benoit’s style of hunting made me change my style of hunting, becoming more of a walker and a wannabe tracker, I only successfully tracked one once, and changed my luck. Before then I was in a huge slump. Between work and small kids I had limited hunting time and I did not shoot a buck for nine years. 

I came out of my slump quickly shooting a spike with the Whelen and followed by shooting a perfect 8 the next year. Shot some good bucks since but not in the last couple of years. Getting older and been sick the past few years. Hope to hit it hard this year. 

I scoped the 35 Rem carbine with a Nikon 2x7 with O/U mounts. Not to be able to see the irons but so I could wrap my hand around the receiver with my thumb under the scope. Handy way to carry it. The 35 Whelen has a 3x9 Nikon on Warne QD rings. 

Some years later I bought the Remington 750 auto in a 3( Whelen carbine and set it up the same way with the O/U mounts. Carry’s handy. Tracked a 8 with that set up. 

I shot my PC9 with the peep site yesterday and it worked better than I thought it would. Going to bring it up to our property and shoot it in the woods to get a better idea of what it’s like while hunting. I have an extra 7600 carbine that I could mount peep sights on if I want. I could use a project.