IGNORED

What's in ur pack??

Doebuck1234

2 days away,woohoo!!!!!!Got me thinking I should really go through my pack n make sure things are good to go.missing TP (A MUST!)and should really get some first aid stuff in there just incase,u never know.

forgot hand warmers,limb saw,zip ties and pen in the picture but they are accounted for aswell!

20230929_174427.jpg

20230929_180854.jpg

Edited by Doebuck1234

1 minute ago, Doebuck1234 said:

That's for sure,but if I don't pack em now I may forget then be screwed when I do need em!

I use the rechargeable ones now.  Love them. Two of the best things I added to hunting gear was a heated vest and rechargeable hand warmers.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

One of the most important pieces of gear, thru the early antlerless gun season a couple weeks ago, was a camo face mask.  The skeeters were so bad and spray didn’t even slow them down.  That face mask stopped them cold though.  

It’s tough to see thru at twilight, so I had it off a for a few minutes, prior to killing both of my deer.  Not sure on the legality of covering the orange hat with a camo mask, but I only used it when I was up in the stand, and no deer showed up while I had it on. 

The Shrade Sharpfinger is probably the most important item in the pack, followed by the butt-out.  I like a folding Gerber saw, for trimming branches and cutting thru the pelvis.  An original Leatherman tool provides a backup knife blade and plenty of other stuff that comes in handy.  

Other items include a short length of rope for dragging, a little string or wire and a pen for filling out tags.  neoprene or rubber gloves, zip lock bags for heart and liver, compass, orange surveyors tape, laser rangefinder and a led headlamp. 

I usually throw a bottle of water in there if it’s hot or clip a quart thermos of hot cider to my belt if it’s cold, and bring a few candy bars for snacks.  Lastly, I always have waterproof matches and one of those little “space blankets” in case of trouble.  Fortunately, I never used either.  

Edited by Wolc123

1 hour ago, Wolc123 said:

One of the most important pieces of gear, thru the early antlerless gun season a couple weeks ago, was a camo face mask.  The skeeters were so bad and spray didn’t even slow them down.  That face mask stopped them cold though.  

It’s tough to see thru at twilight, so I had it off a for a few minutes, prior to killing both of my deer.  Not sure on the legality of covering the orange hat with a camo mask, but I only used it when I was up in the stand, and no deer showed up while I had it on. 

The Shrade Sharpfinger is probably the most important item in the pack, followed by the butt-out.  I like a folding Gerber saw, for trimming branches and cutting thru the pelvis.  An original Leatherman tool provides a backup knife blade and plenty of other stuff that comes in handy.  

Other items include a short length of rope for dragging, a little string or wire and a pen for filling out tags.  neoprene or rubber gloves, zip lock bags for heart and liver, compass, orange surveyors tape, laser rangefinder and a led headlamp. 

I usually throw a bottle of water in there if it’s hot or clip a quart thermos of hot cider to my belt if it’s cold, and bring a few candy bars for snacks.  Lastly, I always have waterproof matches and one of those little “space blankets” in case of trouble.  Fortunately, I never used either.  

Headlamp!damnit,that's what I forgot about at running's today!!!!I typically don't use one unless it's needed but like to have one

Headlamp on head

rangefinder right jacket pocket

grunt call left jacket pocket

binocs around my neck 

Phone right front pants pocket 

gutting knife wrapped in red handkerchief in left pocket along with SD lightning adapter to download trail cam pics onto phone quickly 

Wallet back left pocket

backpack contents = 1 bottle of water, 1 snack bar (both only used if I shoot something and need after gutting and dragging), orange tape, drag rope, 2 small saws (1 wood, 1 bone), small gutting bag I call it (gloves, wipes, paper towels), 1 garbage bag, flashlight, a few pens. No TP since I shit before hunting and don’t drink coffee days I hunt. I’ll drink a monster on the ride. 

I travel light. When November comes and dark to dark hunts comes into play I’ll bring extra food/water. In fact, certain spots where I have a shorter walk Into woods (like CT) I won’t even bring my backpack sometimes. 

Edited by 2BuckBizCT

33 minutes ago, Doebuck1234 said:

Headlamp!damnit,that's what I forgot about at running's today!!!!I typically don't use one unless it's needed but like to have one

I started carrying that this year, because I had to gut the last 2 or 3 deer that I killed at my parents place, in the pitch black dark with my mom holding a flashlight.  That got ugly.   

I didn’t need it on the one this year (early antlerless gun season doe) because the lights work good on my dads tractor and I had him point the headlights at it.  I put the three point carryall on the back of that, prior to my afternoon hunt, which works way better than his Polaris Ranger for hauling deer carcass out.  The headlights have not worked on that, for at least the last 5 years.  

5 hours ago, Doebuck1234 said:

2 days away,woohoo!!!!!!

Well that just hit me over the head moments before I was about to go to sleep. Getting up early, driving up to camp and setting up stands. Then planned on squirrel hunting sat evening and sunday. Truck's all packed. Since I was supposed to do this two weeks ago, the fact that sunday was the season opener completely eluded me. Now I'm running around grabbing a bare minimum for a sunday sit. But my pack is buried deep in the truck and I can't recall what's in it and what's not.