IGNORED

Trails to stands..

G-man

@G-man Beautiful trails! I am sure you enjoy them year round.   What do you do for the parts of your trails that are mucky or muddy all the time, but there is not really water streaming across that can be diverted or a culvert pipe put in?   Do you pile stones and mulch over them and keep building them up? 

I mow the leaves off all my trails at home that I can. It is really nice for stalking in and out. Come frost though man you get some crunchy ice!

I've raked as well but that's too much work. I just do my best to keep all twigs and dropped branches off. Those loud snapping sticks sound so loud when you step on one in the dark!

4 hours ago, Otto said:

@G-man Beautiful trails! I am sure you enjoy them year round.   What do you do for the parts of your trails that are mucky or muddy all the time, but there is not really water streaming across that can be diverted or a culvert pipe put in?   Do you pile stones and mulch over them and keep building them up? 

The chips  on this trail are 8 in deep in the mud holes..  ,usually  I just try and make them drain but this is very flat and by seasons end was always a muddy mess. So far  the chips are working well.  Large crossing  in woods have water bars and drain, I have 2 12in culverts where ravine crosses main logging roads. 

58 minutes ago, G-man said:

The chips  on this trail are 8 in deep in the mud holes..  ,usually  I just try and make them drain but this is very flat and by seasons end was always a muddy mess. So far  the chips are working well.  Large crossing  in woods have water bars and drain, I have 2 12in culverts where ravine crosses main logging roads. 

Thanks, I don’t have free chips like you do.  I’ll have to look around and see if anyone nearby has a chipper.  I think the local town waste management has mulch for pretty cheap, not sure if they have chips.  

1 minute ago, Otto said:

Thanks, I don’t have free chips like you do.  I’ll have to look around and see if anyone nearby has a chipper.  I think the local town waste management has mulch for pretty cheap, not sure if they have chips.  

Look into tree removal guys. Lots of times they will gladly dump a load of chips free/cheap if they are close by instead of hauling them farther away.