IGNORED

Choosing the right stand?

Swamp_bucks

Last couple years I feel I’ve gotten better at getting on good deer but have a bunch more to learn. I’ve improved on reading sign, using thermals, watching wind and knowing you have to hunt winds that aren’t always good for you but great for the deer, try to hunt the higher pressure days and days when temps drop or after storm fronts.  That leads into my question for the guys that seem to always get on and kill good deer every year.

I feel like I  fall short in picking the right spots.  Now I know it’s very common and every deer hunter does it.  Is there a way to minimize or reduce picking the wrong stand location?  Is it just experience, am I missing something in scouting or is it just dumb luck most the time?

just for example last year I had a good year saw 5-8 2.5 or better on all the stateland I hunt.  However I had over 10 sits where I had shooters at different locations than where I was hunting. 

I do feel I second guess myself too much and I know that has cost me a few times in the past.  Just looking for pointers on trying to up my chances. 

Thanks for the input. 

Go with your gut feeling. You will feel better about the stand and that will make you sit better(not move as much etc.). We all have days that we wish we were in a different stand. That's what makes it hunting. Just give your self the advantage with all you are already doing. Playing the wind and paying attention to what the deer are doing.

Good luck out there.

There’s more to it than just choosing the right stand.  Mature deer (bucks and does) will nearly always scent check locations from downwind.  Those folks constantly posting pictures of deer under their stand, on the days when they are not in it, seem rather clueless regarding that fact. That is no coincidence.

How you get into the right stand might be even more important.   Getting into it from downwind of anywhere the deer will be is always best.  

Today is a good example of that for me.  I know what stand I want to hunt from (aiming for an all day sit if need be). I think I know where my target buck (DD-10) is bedded.  

There is supposed to be a steady NW wind blowing this morning.  If I walk straight to that stand from my house, that buck will surely be alerted and will not appear in his usual morning feeding location.  

That means it’s time to deploy my Durango, closed-cab field car and get downwind of him in that.  If I approach from the downwind side, I should be downwind of  him all day long.  Open ATV’s or tractors are just about useless for such a maneuver.  

Agree with biggamefish. Go with your gut. 2nd guessing yourself isn't going to help. 

Also, don't try to put too much pressure on yourself. Hunting is supposed to be fun.  

I have my "favorite" stands. Stands I have confidence in. I know I'll see deer and I've killed many nice bucks from.  One stand of mine, my cousin has hunted dozens of times over the years and he hates that stand because he rarely see anything from it, but he keeps hunting it because I constantly see deer and nice deer every time I hunt it. 

Here is the best answer I have for you. Don't run cams and you will never know! Lol jk

You need to try to figure why the deer is moving. Food, weather, bumped, horny... Put all your pieces together and make your best guess. 

If you have cams out and with your in the field observations you already know what areas have more traffic. Things change quick and you need to adjust. Right now I'd be where you know does use, bed , feed. 

I had to add obviously hunt stands with good wind and that you can get in and out with less disturbance. Once you hooey up a stand a couple times you might as well disown it for a week at least. 

Edited by fletchny11

I’m very close to putting all the names of the stands on a big wheel and every hunt just spin the wheel and hunt the stand it tells me to. 

I try to play the wind…. Don’t see anything. 

I try to hunt the signs…. I don’t see anything. 

I hunt what feels like a good spot in my gut…. I don’t see anything. 

I go where someone tells me to go… I don’t see anything  

Meanwhile everyone else on the property is seeing deer. 

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I’m very close to putting all the names of the stands on a big wheel and every hunt just spin the wheel and hunt the stand it tells me to. 

It can get very frustrating.  But it will come together. 

I also feel like the sign of a veteran hunter is patience. If you’ve done the work and feel like you are doing things right, then trust that feeling and wait it out. New hunters climb down when they see deer just out of range. New hunters move their stand after not seeing deer for a sit or two. The folks who are routinely successful are those who put in the time and have the patience to let their work pay off.

And just for the sake of honesty, I make the “new Hunter” moves all the time, and I don’t know that I can point to one instance of them being successful. 

9 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Not saying you do, because I KNOW I DO, but staying still in the stand is the hardest thing for me.  I’m usually standing, but trying to keep contacts on all 360 around me requires movement.  I have no idea what I bump out when I move.  Also, because my hearing SUCKS I need to visually see deer so I can react.   I’ve got really well hidden stands in clumps of trees, branches covering it up, etc.  I can’t see past 30 yards in them.  The deer will be on top of me before I can draw.  I see much fewer deer around those stands.  Then I have other stands, almost out in the open and I can see 100 yards or more. I almost always see deer - Far Off.    It’s a crap shoot to decide which one to sit in!   I do decide 90% based on wind direction and how I can access the stand.  

Edited by Otto

You more than do your homework and diligence.  It's about right place at right time and time over target.  You can make all the right decisions but if a deer isn't there it just won't happen.  The right decisions just give you an advantage IF they do come thru.   

I've hunted our stand CSS 4 times now and haven't even heard a branch break.  I told Corey he should go sit there cause we know how that works.  First time in this morn he bumped an 8 and 10 minutes later shot at and missed a 6.   Of course. We knew it's a good stand.  Had one there yesterday an hour and a half before I got there.   

Try to make a pick on giving yourself the advantage IF a deer comes thru is about the best you can do.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson