IGNORED

Tips for hunting Doodletown or Partridge Run WMAs?

Chelsea FC

Hello - I'm wondering if anyone here has any tips or insight for hunting the Doodletown and/or Partridge Run WMAs in New York. I know there's no substitute for boots-on-the-ground scouting. But this is part of my digital scouting efforts (I also know I'm cutting it close here).

Specifically I'm looking for information on the best access/parking to hunting grounds, the general level of hunting pressure and any relevant terrain or water features that should be noted. 

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

I'm quite familiar with Partridge Run. Grew up not far from it. Compared to even just a few years ago, the hunting pressure is minimal. It used to be so crowded it seemed like everywhere you looked, you'd see orange. Not so today. Plenty of room to roam. And a decent deer population, and always a few real nice bucks. Get back off the beaten path. Just like all public land, and your results will be much better. Plenty of parking in PR. No issues there. Good luck.

I wound up hunting Coeyman's Creek, about 20 minutes south of Albany, and it was BUSY. There were 13 cars in the east lot when I showed up around 6 a.m. Which brings me to a set of questions about hunting public land during high pressure situations, if anyone wants to take a stab.

1. Is a blind a must for hunting public land? I assume you don't really want to set up a tree stand on public land because what if another hunter doesn't see it (or does) and sets up his blind in the same area? The only alternative to those options is just going out and sitting under a tree, hopefully with some elevation (which is what I did). How far away from another hunter is considered acceptable to set up your blind? 300 yards or so? I'm assuming the law of the land is first come, first serve, so get their early or not at all. But you still run the risk of someone not seeing you and setting up on top of you.

2. If everyone is setting up their blinds more or less quietly and in the dark, how do you know you're not setting up on top of someone or directly across a field from someone in a mutual field of fire? Do you hang an orange vest from the top of your blind?

3. Say you shoot a deer but you don't drop it and need to start tracking. You can't really go tromping around after it and ruin everyone else's hunt, right? If it wanders into another hunter's territory, is it fair game? It seems like if you shoot one you better shoot it dead, and that you can't really track during a pressure situation on public land. Is that accurate?

4. In terms of deer behavior on public land during medium to high pressure, how much value is there to hunting the afternoon/pre-dusk hours? In general are most of the deer too spooked and wary by then? Or can it be worth it to stick it out until sundown?

Thanks for reading/engaging if you still are. I'm obviously trying to get at some of the unwritten rules of hunting public land and any insight you have would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about those hunting areas.  But I have hunted public a lot.  A blind is certainly not necessary.  And if you shoot a deer and it's public land you certainly need to track it just be aware of your surroundings while you do it.  Going into another area someone is hunting might be inevitable.

But my two cents would be to hunt that area later in season once people disperse a bit.  Or my first thought was do some scouting next spring before leaves on trees etc.  If youre hunting in the berne area there should be better and less pressured options if you drive a bit.  Might be a pain but more worth your investment in time possibly.  Head north west or west an hour and you should find more areas to hunt.  I would have a hard time hunting with 13 vehicles there.  But that's just me.  I believe the dolgeville area is about an hour from there might be worth a look. Opening weekend lots of places are packed and then after that it might be used a lot less.  

Good luck and let us know how you do. 

Oh and finding areas others may not want to go or are hard to get to. Just like that creek crossing you mentioned.  If its difficult you weed out other people right there. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

21 minutes ago, Chelsea FC said:

Thank you @Robhuntandfish. I'm not familiar with the state land in Dolgeville, is it a WMA? I'm likely going to hit up Partridge Run for my next outing, or possibly Bear Spring Mountain. I hunted turkey there in the spring and know the land better. Thank you for the general info on tracking on public land, really appreciate it.

It's been many many years since I've been out that way. But I remember a good amount of state land.  I would map a bunch of spots out for state land and start looking in the spring.  The farther from population centers the better.  

Good luck. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Chelsea, in my opinion most of us public land hunters will see another hunter venture through the spot your set up and watching. I just stay put and make sure they see me( a couple of clucks or clicks if they are close enough to hear, but haven't looked my way yet) or if I see them from farther I may stand to make my orange more prominent. 

When I'm the one that walks into someone else hunting, I'll throw a wave and just continue on quietly if I need to keep heading to my spot or I'll turn my direction to leave them with the least amount of intrusion. I wouldn't sweat it too much ... opening weekend, new woods opened up, I bet everyone kinda thought the pressure would be high. But they had to give it try. 

I hunt the wmu 4h, I have not been out to Partridge Run or Rensselaerville .....but I would go with you to hunt or scout later in the season if you want.