IGNORED

Notable Dates

Lawdwaz

The recent thread on journals & keeping a count on your success prompted me to pull mine and check a couple things, notable to me. 

The first that came up was that 2003 was the last year I carried a slug loaded shotgun for deer hunting.  I started using an inline ML'r the following year, a T/C Encore 50 cal.   I used that gun for a number of years before buying a 2nd hand NULA smokeless 50 cal around 2008 or 2009.

My chicken scratch further tells me that 2005 was the year NYS moved to a Saturday Opening Day for deer hunting, certainly a controversial move that was applauded by many but was despised by many others.   I guess it's here to stay......

Rifle use for big game came to this end of the state (accuracy check is welcome on these dates) Wyoming County 2012, Ontario County 2013 and Livingston County 2014.  I still pinch myself when I think about this, although I'd hunted out west and in Canada with CF rifles many time prior, the big attraction to hunting Pennsylvania for many years was the use of my rifles.  Sure, it was another Opening Day but toss in a rifle and I was in hawg heaven.  :)

Sadly there are some dates that don't bring much of a smile to my face; November of 2000 was the last year my old buddy Wally B. hunted.  He was a mentor and close friend despite 32 years difference in our ages, we were close.  Although he passed away 14 years later health kept him out of the woods.  Ironically, his beloved wife passed away this past September and her memorial service is tomorrow morning, Opening Day.  I won't make it to the service in person but will surely have her and Wally on my mind. 

Another hunting friend and mentor last hunted in 2014, Don H.   Health issues and age have kept him out of the game but he is doing pretty darn good these days at 90 years old.

I've kept an accurate count of deer & turkey since my first kill my that's not important here; it's the notes I’ve made on dates, others in our group that had good fortune or even entries on sadder things like putting down my two dogs years back. 

Time for a coffee refill.......

Edited by Lawdwaz

I use to keep a chicken scratch journal of each sit. Unfortunately for no known reason I stopped doing it. Id I had to guess meeting my wife probably changed my priorities at the time. I can write in my journal or go chase the redhead😁

Boy I almost forgot about the switch from a Monday to Sat. I kinda liked Monday at the time solely as it was a free day off from school!

Thinking about the switch to rifle. Looking back now seems like we moved from the stone age to modern technology. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably never pickup a shotgun again for deer.

5 years ago today- 11/17/2018 was first ever gun opener I didn’t hunt with my Dad. Also it was my first ever with a rifle in hand. I hunted with @The_Real_TCIIIand @Sodfather in 9J - Chautauqua County. 

i passed up this 4pt at first light and @Sodfather shot it a few minutes later. He forgot his gutting knife that day. I lent him mine which previously has only been used my late grandfather and me. 

also on today’s date:

11/17/2007, I shot my first 8pt. 
11/17/2012, I shot my last 1.5 buck (4pt) then decided 2.5+ going forward 

both were opening day morning 

IMG_4828.jpeg

Edited by 2BuckBizCT