IGNORED

CVA Optima - Need help with load and groups

cervidchasers

I have tried to get this gun to group at 100yards with different bullets and powders.

Even got the BH209 with its breech plug but it has been very inconsistent. Used by weight for BH209 to be consistent and different bullets. By weight tried 76 to 80 grains of powder.

Shot from a rest the hornady , TC and powerbelts all at best gave me 6" plus groups. I am not best target shooter but with my rifle on a rest I can shoot 200yrd and group under 2" all day long.

Wondering what I am doing wrong with the muzzleloader and any tips to help me out.

Just now, cervidchasers said:

I was doing that for Hogdens 777 but with BH209 I was not doing it as I read its not needed for 10+ shots

I use 777 and after two shots mine drops 3-4 inches.  

Maybe a scope issue?  Had one of those too that was all over the place.  Took me several boxes of shells to figure it out and a scope change. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I use 777 and after two shots mine drops 3-4 inches.  

Maybe a scope issue?  Had one of those too that was all over the place.  Took me several boxes of shells to figure it out and a scope change. 

This has the factory konex scope, maybe I will swap it out and see if it helps.

38 minutes ago, cervidchasers said:

This has the factory konex scope, maybe I will swap it out and see if it helps.

Usually a bad scope doesn’t result in 5” groups, I would take the scope off the mount and check every screw then remount and try again. A consistent 5” group makes me think it’s a loose mount.

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Usually a bad scope doesn’t result in 5” groups, I would take the scope off the mount and check every screw then remount and try again. A consistent 5” group makes me think it’s a loose mount.

Good tip. It was the last purchase from DSG, so yeh partly my fault for not rechecking their installation.

You need to remove the scope from rings and base from gun. The most likely cause is the base and the oil used for shipping purposes. CVA is notorious for it - I’ve seen CVA reps recommend it directly.

If you are in Rochester area, Stop down at my shop and grab a much better scope for $80. I have a few left on clearance. That Konus is hot trash. 

2 hours ago, phade said:

You need to remove the scope from rings and base from gun. The most likely cause is the base and the oil used for shipping purposes. CVA is notorious for it - I’ve seen CVA reps recommend it directly.

If you are in Rochester area, Stop down at my shop and grab a much better scope for $80. I have a few left on clearance. That Konus is hot trash. 

I am very close to Rochester, where is your shop located?

For what it’s worth, I’ve never used loctite on a bases or rings.  Mounted more than a few too.    

I have nothing against it just never have……

A buddy gave me red & blue Ford issued loctite tubes that are still just about full.     

Agree with others check the scope mounting. A inch pound torque wrench should be used on all scope screws . I know not every one will buy one just to do one scope though . As for the loctite , i ordered and use purple , I've found blue can be a little to much for small screws. 
https://eezee.sg/blog/whats-the-difference-between-colors-of-loctite-threadlockers/amp/

Edited by Rob-c