IGNORED

ML Powder Measuring by Weight or Volume?

nywaw

I’ve tried it both ways and I can’t shoot my setups well enough to get a measurable difference. My test was 3 guns, 10 shots each 5 weighed/5 measured from lead sled at 100yds.  110gn by volume if my memory is correct is 84gn by weight. After my test I had a 110gn powder dipper made and haven’t weighed a load since.

Ill add that I’m sure others have guns setup to shoot much more accurately than my setups, the 3 guns were a cva wolf with VX3 1-5x, a cva accura MR with a VX5 1-5X and woodman arms patriot with a 1-6 trijicon accupoint. Obviously not long range guns but capable of 1.5moa groups with me behind them.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

Almost everyone I know who is big into loose powder and dialing in certain loads ends up weighing after starting with volume. Volume is often used as the measurement amount spoken to in communications. I most often say I used 90 gr by volume. But I don’t speak to the converted weighed charge which is what I shoot. 

7 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I switched my grains by volume form 95 to 85 and had no difference in groups and didn't have to adjust the sight. 

Depending on range, sometimes this can also be a symptom of powder you're using not ever burning (i.e. say you are burning only 70 grains of that powder, whether you put 85 or 95 in doesn't matter).  If that is the case, normally it's due to caps/primers not firing hot enough or the powder's design not allowing for uniform burn.  I have no way of "proving" that's what's happening even in my own setups, but something that I read a long time ago and made a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, nywaw said:

Depending on range, sometimes this can also be a symptom of powder you're using not ever burning (i.e. say you are burning only 70 grains of that powder, whether you put 85 or 95 in doesn't matter).  If that is the case, normally it's due to caps/primers not firing hot enough or the powder's design not allowing for uniform burn.  I have no way of "proving" that's what's happening even in my own setups, but something that I read a long time ago and made a lot of sense.

Interesting. I shoot a 250 gr bullet with a sabot,the wolf doesn't like non saboted bullets. I tried once and it threw them all over the place.

3 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Probably a dumb question so I’m sorry.

Can you shoot triple 7 loose powder with a black horn breach plug?  I have the regular plug for the pellets but have been planning on switching to loose and get into ml a little more. 

The flash hole is bigger on the BH version to ensure proper ignition and burn. I’ve never tried T7 with a BH209 plug but I would expect it’ll be fine to at least test out and see how it performs.

Honestly I know BH209 is $, but man it really is worth it. Buy once cry once (a tin can last quite some time).

I scoop it up in a adjustable brass thing. Tap it until I can't put more in, and dump it in. 80 grains of pyrodex. And lots of dead deer with that system. I have that BH209, but what I use has worked so well for me, I'm not changing.

8 minutes ago, phade said:

The flash hole is bigger on the BH version to ensure proper ignition and burn. I’ve never tried T7 with a BH209 plug but I would expect it’ll be fine to at least test out and see how it performs.

Honestly I know BH209 is $, but man it really is worth it. Buy once cry once (a tin can last quite some time).

I’ll have to see if my local shop has any and test it out.

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Probably a dumb question so I’m sorry.

Can you shoot triple 7 loose powder with a black horn breach plug?  I have the regular plug for the pellets but have been planning on switching to loose and get into ml a little more. 

Yes, that’s my set up on the wolf. Triple 7 powder and triple 7 209 primers 

2 hours ago, phade said:

I'm not sure if they changed it for the newer versions but my BH plugs have a counter bore on the charge side that shortens the flame channel as well as increased diameter.