IGNORED

Getting Started

Belo

In the process of completing my trappers course. Looking to trap yotes only and only start with 1 or 2 simple sets. Is there a basic list to dip my toe in and what sites/companies should I browse?

I should note that I don't plan to sell any hides, but am going to take a stab at fleshing them as hunting/killing for just population control is not something I'm sure I'd like to do. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

9 hours ago, Belo said:

In the process of completing my trappers course. Looking to trap yotes only and only start with 1 or 2 simple sets. Is there a basic list to dip my toe in and what sites/companies should I browse?

I should note that I don't plan to sell any hides, but am going to take a stab at fleshing them as hunting/killing for just population control is not something I'm sure I'd like to do. 

Cool man, I just recently did the same. 

I bought a starter set below.

Predator Trapping Starter Kit (MB-550s) – IronTrail Trapline Supply, LLC

The items were cheaper than buying them separate from Cabella's and such. 

I'm eager to hear about your experiences so please share them with us.

Edited by HeavyUser

Years ago I used to double stake my coyote sets and still had coyotes trying to pump out my traps. Lately I’ve been using the chain stakes without any issues. I only wax about 1/2 the chain length. I have both of these stake pullers but I prefer the top one. It’s easier to carry around. I usually hide it in the woods and pull all my traps at one time. I only wish that I had the luxury of using a 4 wheeler. Maybe that’s why I only run a few traps.IMG_5204.thumb.png.13c137cc30c574d79355e6cab4491469.png

On 12/28/2023 at 4:00 PM, Spysar said:

You're starting with the absolute hardest animal to catch. I'd start out coon trapping and work your way up.

I wouldn't worry about what your gonna do with hides, until you have 1. Coyotes are hard. 

I'm not in it for hides. This is predator control for me, if i'm successful then great and if not that's ok too, it's something I'm definitely just dipping my toe in on at the moment. 

At the same time, I'm not in the business of killing without some kind of use so want to be prepared. I've read that I can freeze skinned hides which is what I would do out of the gates maybe, and even then fleshing and stretching doesn't seem overly difficult either. 

I would like my own coon skinned cap though :)

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

6 hours ago, Belo said:

I'm not in it for hides. This is predator control for me, if i'm successful then great and if not that's ok too, it's something I'm definitely just dipping my toe in on at the moment. 

At the same time, I'm not in the business of killing without some kind of use so want to be prepared. I've read that I can freeze skinned hides which is what I would do out of the gates maybe, and even then fleshing and stretching doesn't seem overly difficult either. 

I would like my own coon skinned cap though :)

Pretty much in the same boat, I'm in it for predator control! After getting pics of another coyote carrying away one of the few fawns that was left around here this past Spring, I decided to get back into trapping. I've only trapped coons and possums in the past, so not experienced with coyotes. I spent time over the summer watching coyote trapping videos on YouTube and buying supplies. I just ordered some bait and lures to try. I would have been trapping by now, but I've only gotten a couple pics of a pair of coyotes in the past 6-8 weeks, so I lost some ambition. There's a few red fox around, so maybe I'll practice on them to build my confidence. LOL