IGNORED

Overtime Hours

Buckmaster7600

Worked about 500hrs of ot that's after 5 weeks vacation and 7 sick days I take my sick days even if I'm not sick we use to get paid for what we didn't use but now don't do it's use it or lose it. So I take a mental health day every once in a while 

9 hours ago, Spysar said:

You must work for the government... I don't think any company trying to make a profit could operate like that.

I do now but I did 7-800 hrs every year when I was at a paper mill as well. Business/the government have realized it’s cheaper to pay the OT than hire more employees.

6 hours ago, ChevyZr297 said:

I value my personal time too much and there are no guarantees a retirement will be a healthy one. I could have worked a lot of OT but I would have missed too much time with my kids, not being there as they grew up. Good work life balance was always my goal and I still feel the extra time at work wasn't worth it. There are no re-do's in life and kids grown up fast. If I need more money then I'll get a job paying more for same or less time. Especially now that the kids are off in college, starting their own lives.    

There isn’t a guarantee in retirement that’s why I’m going to start it early. Unless something crazy happens or I get bored I’ll be completely retired by 46.

Not much straight OT offered to teachers but I put my "ski mask" on twice a day (easy way to rob some $) by Covering lunch duty and covering  a classes. It is nice since it's "extra" during the work day. Coaching, chaperoning events, bus driving for athletics all are part of my routine AND usually included my kids as they attendees the same school - I was paid to watch and coach my own! Does summer camp count? Been directing one for the past 20 summers-same place I worked as a counselor when I was 16.  My kids also have all worked and continue to work there so more family time as we all get paid!
I can't imagine any teacher actually working 8-3:00 with summers off and not needing to hustle a bit (especially when my wife works for the church and gets paid in apparent prayers and salivation!).

there was talk of a bill passing that people on salary were to be paid overtime as well up to a certain rate. But i guess it hasn't gone thru.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

i grew up on the family farm. no halfass hobby farm either. a real farm that can turn a profit to make a living with the work load and hours that go along with it. i went through HS not hanging out as much with friends and going to parties. time spent with dad was working. while this has set things up well, there was sacrifice. as a salaried employee billing out clients by the half hour i get work load to the brink of failure to meet deadlines any time you look at the schedule outlook. there's no comp time or OT. you just hope you get a bonus but it won't ever be equal to overtime let alone straight time. if i worked more hours per day, 7 days per week, i'd just get more done and more scheduled to do.

at the end of your only run here in this life and looking back at your achievements, nobody's going to recall or give a shit you worked XX hrs of overtime. your kids will though. there's going to be memories discussed too and you weren't there. today's world more than yesterday and less than tomorrow is more competitive in nature. have to remember we work to live and not live to work.

3 hours ago, lucky118 said:

Paid car off, owe 20 grand more on the house, working to pay off totally 15 yrs early. just bought a new stove, a new dryer, new fridge with cash, I buy toys when I want. I'll  take as much OT as I can get.:tooth:

I’m with you. Truck paid off, house paid off, all toys paid off, a couple rentals paid off. Not bad for 35 without a degree.