IGNORED

Wind storm thread

Doebuck1234

Just wanted to say good luck to all and stay safe!Don't remember wind storms like this in the past, but have had atleast 1 over the last few years.sounds like this one might be a doozy!!!

Got mini lanterns,Mr buddy heater,gas grill and chainsaws sharpened/ gased up, at the ready if needed.Obviously hoping don't loose power but wouldn't surprise me

Edited by Doebuck1234

26 minutes ago, mowin said:

No high winds here till tomorrow mid day and overnight into Wednesday.  We're in the 60+70 mph map of gusts.  Not looking forward to it.  High winds scare me.  

Winds that high scare me too. Got a couple big silver maples close to the house that I thought about trimming. Wish I did it now. 

Hopefully it won't be nearly as bad as forcasted?

Worked a ton of high wind storms, most are totally unprepared for loss of power .

My nextdoor neighbor had the dead ash trees along the property line cut down ,thankfully, they would have easily our house .

My kids are equipped for loss of power , I taught and equipped them , the best I could .

I went without power for 11 days in ‘91 , good learning experience .

Bring it !

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, grampy said:

Winds that high scare me too. Got a couple big silver maples close to the house that I thought about trimming. Wish I did it now. 

Hopefully it won't be nearly as bad as forcasted?

That would be nice.ive got one big maple close to the house/hangs right over the garage.hoping the big stretch of woods behind me dampens the blow a bit.too many pine trees too and i hate these things!2 pines close enough to clip house if come down,big maple next to it.oak and maple I had taken down 

20231128_154614.jpg

20231226_150859.jpg

Edited by Doebuck1234

I did a little overdue maintenance on the whole home generator last night just to make sure. We really don't lose power that much but this storm will be interesting. I do have 2 trees that make me nervous but nothing I can really do about that now. I also have a brand new 3500 watt portable generator that we use for camping that I can drop off at family's houses if need be. 

I don't  recall winds like this growing up. It seems like the past 5 or 6 years we get strong winds in February. I hate it. I always worry about things in the yard like the swingset, above ground pool, gazebo, etc not to mention the siding and the roof. We are as prepared as we can be with flashlights,  propane heater, water, etc. Good luck to anyone who gets hit with the winds.

My house didn't have a lot of trees near it when we purchased it. A huge tree fell on the house years ago with the previous owners and the entire second floor had to be replaced. I believe that's when most of the other trees were removed. I've takend down any of the leaners and dead trees that remained.

Our biggest issue is that we are the last house on the power leg, so if there is an issue anywhere upstream we lose our power. I have a portable generator but a whole home backup is in the plans for next year. We have done a bunch of long-term improvements to the house and that will be the next one.

Edited by The Back 40