IGNORED

Damn Stone!

Cabin Fever

My truck was parked in the garage when my wife pulled in on Sunday. She asked if I knew I had a flat tire?! I went out to look and sure enough, it was as flat as a pancake! I assumed I ran over a nail or something.  I pumped it up, but could hear air coming out on top of the tire. It looked like a stone. I pumped it up again yesterday morning and raced 3 miles to the shop to have it fixed. Ended up being a stone that wedged perfectly between my tread and punctured the tire! Damn it! Got it patched from the inside, but was cautioned to keep an eye on it, due to the size of the hole. Seems to be holding air anyways!

IMG_9940.jpeg

IMG_9941.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

My truck was parked in the garage when my wife pulled in on Sunday. She asked if I knew I had a flat tire?! I went out to look and sure enough, it was as flat as a pancake! I assumed I ran over a nail or something.  I pumped it up, but could hear air coming out on top of the tire. It looked like a stone. I pumped it up again yesterday morning and raced 3 miles to the shop to have it fixed. Ended up being a stone that wedged perfectly between my tread and punctured the tire! Damn it! Got it patched from the inside, but was cautioned to keep an eye on it, due to the size of the hole. Seems to be holding air anyways!

IMG_9940.jpeg

IMG_9941.jpeg

It's almost like you wouldn't be as pissed if it was a nail.  Don't think I've ever had a stone cause a flat. 

9 hours ago, Breaking Point said:

Had a piece of shale slice the sidewall just above the tread a few years back. Only had about 18,000 miles on the tires. Went to buy a new tire and that style tire was discontinued. Ended up buying 4 new tires at $1,100. I was so pissed.

Only 18,000?  I'm lucky to get that out of a set of tires. Every fall I'm getting new tires for my truck.  Towing every day during the spring-fall and plowing puts a hurting on them. 

I had the tip of a house key break off in a tire while I was in Maine once, about 15-20 yrs ago.  I was on logging roads all day prior, up over The Golden Road, got back to the hotel after dark, woke up to a flat tire.  The shop never saw anything like that before, obviously was a slow leak, but odd. 

12 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Just about anything can puncture a tire if you catch it just wrong. Funniest thing a repair shop told me about was a pair of pliers in a tire...

3/4” deep well socket, on I95, saw it rolling across lanes but couldn’t avoid it. Barely got on the shoulder before it was completely flat. 

Crazy that we drive over stones every day, never expecting one could puncture a tire. Guess it was just the size to fit in the tread and deep enough to puncture. Funny that I never left the pavement the day this happened. Drove to the store and back, obviously picked up a stone somewhere on the road.

GF had this in her tire over the weekend.  Piece of metal.  Told her it looked like something from the Jeepers Creepers movie.  

Had to replace the tire and she just got new ones this summer 

26930.jpeg

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson