IGNORED

Undesired content on frontpage

Belo

Maybe I'm alone here, but I use the front page to browse topics instead of dipping into each of the many categories. Half the front page is now pretty congested with feeds, much of which is political and has been pretty clearly an area of little to no interest on this forum and was the cause of most of the drama on the old one. 

Can we:

A. have a user option to turn off these feeds

B. somehow limit the sheer volume

C. just remove them completely? I see little to no interaction with them ever and for those really interested in some of these topics there are plenty of others sources on the web to find them.

I just feel like I'm missing good member content because it's pushed off the front page by these feeds unless I'm checking this site daily.

Screenshot2024-01-23110719.thumb.png.f76abec14bd9e1f0ba1716e41d2af0c0.png

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

Maybe I'm alone here, but I use the front page to browse topics instead of dipping into each of the many categories. Half the front page is now pretty congested with feeds, much of which is political and has been pretty clearly an area of little to no interest on this forum and was the cause of most of the drama on the old one. 

Can we:

A. have a user option to turn off these feeds

B. somehow limit the sheer volume

C. just remove them completely? I see little to no interaction with them ever and for those really interested in some of these topics there are plenty of others sources on the web to find them.

I just feel like I'm missing good member content because it's pushed off the front page by these feeds unless I'm checking this site daily.

Screenshot2024-01-23110719.thumb.png.f76abec14bd9e1f0ba1716e41d2af0c0.png

Good points, we don't want any low quality content flooding the frontpage for very long.  I think what happens is those updates come in at the same time (when a process runs to look for them, which is part of the underlying software and not configurable).

Other options:

You can use the Ignore Forum and Ignore Topics features to entirely ignore these.  However those mods seem to hide them but not offset the count of topics shown on the frontpage, so if there are 25 posts show and 20 of them were on your ignore forum/topic list, then only 5 would show instead of 25 unignored ones.  I don't like that but the dev that built it doesn't seem interested in fixing it or it's difficult to do so.

You can also create a custom Frontpage by creating a new custom Stream that you can set as your default stream.  You can also bookmark it if that's easier.  It is fully configurable to show just what you want to see.

Screenshot2024-01-23at11_20_01AM.thumb.png.e258bc2b34b6fc2fce8fa204dd603eea.png