IGNORED

Venison dried sausage

NYBowhunter

Here's the ingredients and process, this can make 20 - 25 lbs of dry sausage. 

Take 10lbs venison and 12lbs of pork butt chopmeat and mix together, don't mix  too much as you will do that later. 

Take 8 oz of kosher salt, 4 teaspoons of Prague powder #1 and 2 teaspoons of sugar and dissolve that in 1 and 1/2 cups of red wine, pour contents over the mixed meats. Make sure to spoon out any undisolved salt/sugar and spread over the meat.

Take 1 cup of soy protien powder and place over meat.

Take the following spices and sprinkle over the meat generously or to your taste: garlic powder, black pepper, crushed red pepper and paprika (can also add fennel seed). 

Mix everything together very thoroughly  (takes awhile) until it's one consistent dark color and is tacky. Now cover the meat with siran wrap and keep in fridge overnight. At this point I usually take some, make a small patty cook it up and then taste and adjust the mixture with spices if needed.

Stuff next day in cleaned hog casings, for me I make each link about 12 inches long and I use a sausage pricker and prick the meat every 6 inches or so on 2 sides and where there are any air pockets.

Hang in smoker for first 11 hours at 160 degrees then another 3 hours at 180 degrees (14 hours total). Leave vents closed for first few hours to retain the wood smoke, then open a vent for remaining time. I only put one small tray (the one that comes with the masterbuilt smokers) of soaked apple chips and I don't replenish after that tray is gone.

Once done smoking I will wipe down each link with a dry papertowel, then I hang in a dry cool place for 1 to 2 weeks. Once they have firmed up, become hard you are set.

Now I only do this during the winter months as I use my enclosed seasonal patio for my drying. It's an uninsulated heated room  but i can open widowes to maintain close to outside temps. I have read that temps to.cure meat can be upto 60 degrees, but my room is much cooler, this time of year it's probably 40 to 50 degrees max.

Edited by NYBowhunter

22 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Take 10lbs venison and 12lbs of pork butt chopmeat and mix together, don't mix  too much as you will do that later. 

Take 8 oz of kosher salt, 4 teaspoons of Prague powder #1 and 2 teaspoons of sugar and dissolve that in 1 1/2 cups of red wine, pour contents over the mixed meats. Make sure to spoon out any undisolved salt/sugar and spread over the meat.

Take the following spices and sprinkle over the meat generously or to your taste: garlic powder, black pepper, crushed red pepper and paprika (can also add fennel seed). 

Mix everything together very thoroughly  (takes awhile) until it's one consistent dark color and is tacky. Now cover the meat with siran wrap and keep in fridge overnight. At this point I usually take some, make a small patty cook it up and then taste and adjust the mixture with spices if needed.

Stuff next day in cleaned hog casings, for me I make each link about 12 inches long and I use a sausage pricker and prick the meat every 6 inches or so on 2 sides and where there are any air pockets.

Hang in smoker for first 11 hours at 160 degrees then another 3 hours at 180 degrees (14 hours total). Leave vents closed for first few hours to retain the wood smoke, then open a vent for remaining time. I only put one small tray (the one that comes with the masterbuilt smokers) of soaked apple chips and I don't replenish after that tray is gone.

Once done smoking I will wipe down each link with a dry papertowel, then I hang in a dry cool place for 1 to 2 weeks. Once they have firmed up, become hard you are set.

Now I only do this during the winter months as I use my enclosed seasonal patio for my drying. It's an uninsulated heated room  but i can open widowes to maintain close to outside temps. I have read that temps to.cure meat can be upto 60 degrees, but my room is much cooler, this time of year it's probably 40 to 50 degrees max.

Ok.  I thank you for the recipe, but how would we know how much garlic, pepper, paprika ect to add?  Do you have a idea of what you add? 

10 minutes ago, mowin said:

Ok.  I thank you for the recipe, but how would we know how much garlic, pepper, paprika ect to add?  Do you have a idea of what you add? 

The wine,  salts and protien powder as provided above are  precise measurements , the other spices are per taste. Those spices I never measure, but it is 20 lbs of meat so I'm generous with it. Before you put in fridge,  make a small patty cook it up and taste, can always add more, but cant take out if you put too much.

12 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

The wine,  salts and protien powder as provided above are  precise measurements , the other spices are per taste. Those spices I never measure, but it is 20 lbs of meat so I'm generous with it. Before you put in fridge,  make a small patty cook it up and taste, can always add more, but cant take out if you put too much.

I can guarantee you, it will have enough garlic. 

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

Take 8 oz of kosher salt, 4 teaspoons of Prague powder #1 and 2 teaspoons of sugar and dissolve that in 1 and 1/2 cups of red wine, pour contents over the mixed meats. Make sure to spoon out any undisolved salt/sugar and spread over the meat.

Thank you!!!

This is gonna happen some time soon. Probably will start with a 5 pound batch...will beg the math teachers to get me the right measurements for 5 pounds!!! Us English teachers don't count so good!

13 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Thank you!!!

This is gonna happen some time soon. Probably will start with a 5 pound batch...will beg the math teachers to get me the right measurements for 5 pounds!!! Us English teachers don't count so good!

Your welcome, make sure to post your progress and pics. Enjoy.

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Thank you!!!

How do you plan on drying it?

• 1 month later...

Well I'm underway...not without hiccups! I ended up stuffing my casings last night after mixed the meat around 2pm using a sopressotta recipe for my spices but adding much more red pepper and some cayenne.

I ended up laying the links on my racks instead of hanging in the smoker since I made them too long and I didn't have a great system for hanging them. A lot of my butcher twine didn't hold when I tried to hang them. I think I finally got my temps right in the smoker and added a 1/2 smoke tube worth of apple pellets.  Realizing  now I forgot to poke the air pockets so I will do that when I rotate the racks.

IMG_8451.jpeg

IMG_8454.jpeg