IGNORED

NY butcher review

Bucksnbows

Please add reviews of the deer/bear butchers you use here for the benefit of all our members. Give as much detail as you can. Name, address, phone, website and social media links, hours, if they do specialty cuts, cost for a “regular cut” for deer. If they also process bear, etc. 

Once we get some momentum, I can pin this to the Butcher Review forum so it’s easily found. I’m looking for a butcher myself just over the Jersey line that I can take deer to on my way home from my NY camp (Camp Snarker). I seldom have time these days to butcher my own, but had to last year. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Cary Stevens in Centereach, Suffolk county for the few of us here from the Island. Good amount of meat, cleanly wrapped and packed, great job on head and cape for separate mounting, and fair price. 1 day turn around for me end of October.

He does not do taxidermy.

Palma non sine pulvere 

Please add reviews of the deer/bear butchers you use here for the benefit of all our members. Give as much detail as you can. Name, address, phone, website and social media links, hours, if they do specialty cuts, cost for a “regular cut” for deer. If they also process bear, etc. 
Once we get some momentum, I can pin this to the Butcher Review forum so it’s easily found. I’m looking for a butcher myself just over the Jersey line that I can take deer to on my way home from my NY camp (Camp Snarker). I seldom have time these days to butcher my own, but had to last year. 

Check out kroll farms in New Windsor. Anthony is a stand up guy. Standard cut is around $100 and comes vacuum sealed. Add $30 if caping does a mount. He will pretty much cut it any way you ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I more often do my own but I can 100% recommend these two:

Marsh mill in Bridgeport http://www.marshmillranch.com/

Millers meat market in Lowville 

https://www.millersmeatmarketny.com/venison-season

Both very clean and you'll get your own deer everytime. 

Miller's has a great selection of items to make like different sausages, hotdogs etc.  

Both are year round butcher shops. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

I love hunting, but just as relaxing and enjoyable is butchering a deer at camp with family. My 14 year old is my apprentice this year and he loves it. Starting him off small but a very important role where he's in charge of making sure all the meat that will go to chop meat is free of fat and silver skin, gotta say he's done a better job than me. 

IMG_20221023_161045_544.jpg

IMG_20221023_161045_483.jpg

On 11/8/2022 at 7:36 AM, NYBowhunter said:

I love hunting, but just as relaxing and enjoyable is butchering a deer at camp with family. My 14 year old is my apprentice this year and he loves it. Starting him off small but a very important role where he's in charge of making sure all the meat that will go to chop meat is free of fat and silver skin, gotta say he's done a better job than me. 

IMG_20221023_161045_544.jpg

IMG_20221023_161045_483.jpg

that's where i started when i was a little younger than his age, about 27 years ago! perfect!

so today I picked up some Australian BMS 9+ wagyu tallow to cube up and add to my ground venison. I typically just grind well trimmed venison with nothing added or the same with bacon in the grind. should make for juicy burgers. we'll see how it works. also the big bodied butcher in albany does deer. i do my own but he seems like he has his stuff together and only puts out quality stuff.  if you bring him boned out stuff he'll want to check it out before he excepts it to make products for you.

I go thru great lengths to make sure my deer are thoroughly cleaned and cooled and the meat is the best it can be. I also have made sausage and ground venison and know for sure making small batches isn't worth it with the work of measurements or just cleaning a grinder alone. My question is can you be absolutely sure that the venison you bring the butcher is your deer when it's returned in the form of cheddar dogs or other sausage, etc? The reason I ask is I've seen and smelled some nasty deer being brought into highway check stations and deer processors. Just wondering?

4 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I go thru great lengths to make sure my deer are thoroughly cleaned and cooled and the meat is the best it can be. I also have made sausage and ground venison and know for sure making small batches isn't worth it with the work of measurements or just cleaning a grinder alone. My question is can you be absolutely sure that the venison you bring the butcher is your deer when it's returned in the form of cheddar dogs or other sausage, etc? The reason I ask is I've seen and smelled some nasty deer being brought into highway check stations and deer processors. Just wondering?

If you order specialty items they are most likely a mix of deer.  The two places I use on occasion will tell you that when you order.  But you can always take the grind they give you from your deer then mix and make your own.  I do that with burgers. I make and mix and patty my own after. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson