IGNORED

Insurance policy increase.

mowin

10 minutes ago, phade said:

If you drive certain makes with internet, Lexis Nexis provides that info to carriers. They typically track about 6mos of data on your driving - speeding, hard braking, fast accel. And they will use your specific data.

Part of the terms you agree to when using it. I know GM is on there. 

GM, I believe you have to sign up for it, and have a subscription to OnStar.  My wife and I declined on both. 

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

GM, I believe you have to sign up for it, and have a subscription to OnStar.  My wife and I declined on both. 

Might want to scan the news. GM is doing it even if you don’t sign up. 

IMG_2989.png

Edited by phade

Just now, phade said:

Might want to scan the news. GM is doing it even if you don’t sign up. 

I'll look into it, but if I remember correctly, there was a form we had to sign giving them consent, and I'm almost certain OnStar subscription was needed.  They tout OnStar as some special feature that you can't afford not to have, lol.  The top package was expensive, and the lower packages didn't give you squat.  Was a easy pass. 

I don't have any hard data but I imagine one of the drivers for the dramatic increase in insurance costs is the natural disasters that are occurring with increasing frequency.  There is a lot of expensive coastline property that is frequently destroyed, and rebuilt.

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

I'll look into it, but if I remember correctly, there was a form we had to sign giving them consent, and I'm almost certain OnStar subscription was needed.  They tout OnStar as some special feature that you can't afford not to have, lol.  The top package was expensive, and the lower packages didn't give you squat.  Was an easy pass. 

The whole suit is because people didn’t sign up but the info is still being passed. Even if you don’t sign up, the vehicle still has the connectivity, it’s just blocked for your use. GM is still collecting data and selling it for profit. GM knows how many times you hit the brakes on the way to Dunkin.

Edited by phade

6 minutes ago, jperch said:

I don't have any hard data but I imagine one of the drivers for the dramatic increase in insurance costs is the natural disasters that are occurring with increasing frequency.  There is a lot of expensive coastline property that is frequently destroyed, and rebuilt.

Florida is in dire straits. Same with the coastlines in certain areas. Not just storms but building code. The condo collapse resulted in new requirements jacking rates and reserves HOAs have to hold. 

Just now, 2BuckBizCT said:

StateFarm offered me additional 10% or 15% to put a car/gps tracker thing inside my vehicle. I said no thanks.

Big data can do a lot of good but the ethics and ill use will be a bigger topic. We have nearly zero clue how much others know about us. There really is no impactful regulations IMO. 

I work in this space, and when we need to reach clients, I know what hours they tend to be available based on their data and habits of interaction. It’s for good reason but that type of stuff can be used to predatory sales/business too, and is.

3 minutes ago, phade said:

Big data can do a lot of good but the ethics and ill use will be a bigger topic. We have nearly zero clue how much others know about us. There really is no impactful regulations IMO. 

I work in this space, and when we need to reach clients, I know what hours they tend to be available based on their data and habits of interaction. It’s for good reason but that type of stuff can be used to predatory sales/business too, and is.

Oh yea for sure. I have a buddy who works in advertising. Also, i know a bunch of BD/Marketing people who use the web to find what clients are looking for help on and then they send them info on it. Kinda like when the group text chat talks about something and then you open instagram and boom its there

18 minutes ago, phade said:

The whole suit is because people didn’t sign up but the info is still being passed. Even if you don’t sign up, the vehicle still has the connectivity, it’s just blocked for your use. GM is still collecting data and selling it for profit. GM knows how many times you hit the brakes on the way to Dunkin.

Thanks for this information.  I just went through our paperwork for my wifes car, and we declined the smart driver info.  So I signed up for the my Chevrolet app, and checked the settings.  They had that setting activated for both her car and my truck.  

I'm thinking I'll be adding our name to that law suit.