IGNORED

Fuzzy image in scope

Bolt Action

Bushnell Banner II 3-9 on top of Traditions Vortek Ultralight .50 cal ML.

Nikon Prostaff 4-12 on top of Howa 1500 6.5 Creed.

I was out recently trying to dial these in. Both started out practically new and needed adjustment. Initially, both sight pictures were clear as expected. At some point though, the image on both became blurry. The reticle is still sharp, but the image itself is blurry. At the time, I just chalked it up to a combination of poor weather, fatigue, etc. I brought them home and cleaned the guns, but the scope images hasn't cleared / sharpened on either one. As far as i can tell, neither model has a focus adjustment. I did a quick Google / Youtube search, but didn't come up with anything. 

What am I missing?

I'm trying to get that ML dialed in soon so I can take advantage of that late season. If not, I'll have to tinker with this over the summer. 

11 minutes ago, Bolt Action said:

I may have touched them. No oil (more than normal oils in my skin) while I was at the range. I have since have cleaned them both. It's not a smudge per se, but the whole field of view is out of focus.

Bolt , is this the scope you have ? You have a focus  adjustment ring . The part that is closest to your eye . Usually there is a plus and minus symbol on most scopes , but I dont see any markings of that in the Banner or Banner2 manuals . Just turn that focus ring that it shows on the diagram in the manual to adjust the focus to your eyes and you should be all set 

https://www.bushnell.com/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-HuntShootAccessoriesSharedLibrary/default/dw568fea89/productPdfFiles/bushnellPdf/Product Manuals/Riflescopes/PDF/BannerRiflescopes_1LIM_revb1013_web.pdf

2 hours ago, Bolt Action said:

I may have touched them. No oil (more than normal oils in my skin) while I was at the range. I have since have cleaned them both. It's not a smudge per se, but the whole field of view is out of focus.

I just checked the Nikon  Prostaff manual and my Prostaff scope on my muzzy .  The focus ring is identical location as  the  Bushnell ring .  My Prostaff doesn't have any + l - marking on it either . You must of spun then out of adjustment when you wiped the scopes down . I was suprised how easy it was to move the focus ring on my Prostaff .  Much tougher to move them on my Leupold scopes

1 hour ago, Bolt Action said:

So with the Bushnell, that did spin. It isn't marked, but it spins. I just had to stop babying it. As i spun it, the image becomes sharp, but the reticle goes out of focus. Seems like one or the other.

It is one or the other; but technically, not.  The purpose of the focus ring on the ocular bell (closest to your eye) is to focus the reticle, so it appears sharp and clear when you bring it to your eye.  Your eye should not need to adjust or focus; it should be instantaneous.  Only scopes with an adjustable objective (lense) can also focus the target.  The target, on non-adjustable objective lense scopes, will appear less sharp at certain distances since it is typically set for 100 yards.   Appreciate that as we/you age, our eyes are less capable to compensate. 

Took the muzzy out again today for another try. More time and better weather. I took some advice from here and counted all clicks for windage and elevation, the dialed each half way. I thought I'd be dialed in  in no time. Prior to shooting I made sure that all hardware was tight.

First shot - didn't hit paper at 25 yds. I looked down the bore and then through the scope and the cross hair looked way low and left. I adjusted 20 clicks up and right.

Second shot - didn't hit the paper at 25yds. Adjusted another 20 clicks.

Third shot - didn't hit the paper at 25yds. This time I aimed high and right to where I thought I should at least be on paper.

After 3 shots and having no idea where the bullet was going I stopped. Reached out to Bushnell. They want me to send it in to look at with a 2 - 4 week turnaround.

Luckily a buddy has a CVA wolf i can borrow. I plan to go out Saturday, shoot that early to confirm zero, then hunt with it for the afternoon.

9 minutes ago, Bolt Action said:

Took the muzzy out again today for another try. More time and better weather. I took some advice from here and counted all clicks for windage and elevation, the dialed each half way. I thought I'd be dialed in  in no time. Prior to shooting I made sure that all hardware was tight.

First shot - didn't hit paper at 25 yds. I looked down the bore and then through the scope and the cross hair looked way low and left. I adjusted 20 clicks up and right.

Second shot - didn't hit the paper at 25yds. Adjusted another 20 clicks.

Third shot - didn't hit the paper at 25yds. This time I aimed high and right to where I thought I should at least be on paper.

After 3 shots and having no idea where the bullet was going I stopped. Reached out to Bushnell. They want me to send it in to look at with a 2 - 4 week turnaround.

Luckily a buddy has a CVA wolf i can borrow. I plan to go out Saturday, shoot that early to confirm zero, then hunt with it for the afternoon.

There’s no reason to shoot at 25yds. You can shoot at 5ft. Kentucky windage has no place in trying to sight in a gun.