IGNORED

Riverrat sometimes trapping journal

I set some traps last weekend and have been checking and resetting them after work. The high water curtailed a few days this week.

I'll shuffle some of them around this weekend. As the days get longer I'll be able to get some more traps out. 

Most of the first week catch. 16 muskrats, 14 beaver and a mink.

I'll post pics as I have time. 

IMG_20240315_203801158.thumb.jpg.fca7a29ad3f34af35ae4e62f9fcad951.jpg

Edited by riverrat

12 hours ago, riverrat said:

I set some traps last weekend and have been checking and resetting them after work. The high water curtailed a few days this week.

I'll shuffle some of them around this weekend. As the days get longer I'll be able to get some more traps out. 

Most of the first week catch. 16 muskrats, 14 beaver and a mink.

I'll post pics as I have time. 

IMG_20240315_203801158.thumb.jpg.fca7a29ad3f34af35ae4e62f9fcad951.jpg

I’m pretty sure I recognize a couple of those beaver. Catch them all (I know that’s never going to happen). Good job, Tony. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

18 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I don't mind the muskrat population being thinned... My doggie killed one last week but the muskrat almost got even.IMG_20240316_103350.thumb.jpg.ad92a69237b8617a5e68c4f032a13f5f.jpg

Holy crap, didn't think those things were that vicious.  

Is that a Jack Russell?  Those little guys are fearless.  

42 minutes ago, mowin said:

Holy crap, didn't think those things were that vicious.  

Is that a Jack Russell?  Those little guys are fearless.  

Yeah,and she killed one before buy maybe that one was too easy? We chased it into one of the 4" drain pipes by the pond. The muskrat barely fit in there. I diverted some water to the drain and muskrat backed out,it couldn't turn around. It looked like a snake coming out the drain because we could just see the tail at first. 

My dog waited until the whole muskrat was out and pounced. So that one was easy.

This one cost us an emergency trip to the vet,the bleeding on the leg wouldn't stop. My wife put pressure on it but it never clotted.

15 minutes and two towels later we arrived at the vet.

The dog is fine now,luckily.

6 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Yeah,and she killed one before buy maybe that one was too easy? We chased it into one of the 4" drain pipes by the pond. The muskrat barely fit in there. I diverted some water to the drain and muskrat backed out,it couldn't turn around. It looked like a snake coming out the drain because we could just see the tail at first. 

My dog waited until the whole muskrat was out and pounced. So that one was easy.

This one cost us an emergency trip to the vet,the bleeding on the leg wouldn't stop. My wife put pressure on it but it never clotted.

15 minutes and two towels later we arrived at the vet.

The dog is fine now,luckily.

Ya, that's a scary one.  Probably the last time you'll let her tangle with another one. 

20 hours ago, mowin said:

That's quite a haul for the first week.  

What are rats bringing? 

Spring rats will average $4. Gas money LoL 

20 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’m pretty sure I recognize a couple of those beaver. Catch them all (I know that’s never going to happen). Good job, Tony. 

Not unless they went over the hill. :) I'm going to start over you're way next week.

16 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I don't mind the muskrat population being thinned... My doggie killed one last week but the muskrat almost got even.IMG_20240316_103350.thumb.jpg.ad92a69237b8617a5e68c4f032a13f5f.jpg

That sucks! I've been bit a couple times doing stupid things. They're teeth are like razors. 

• 2 weeks later...