IGNORED

Truck question?

Swamp_bucks

Looking at getting a truck later this spring.  I do have a camper that’s 22’ and weighs about 6000lbs.  However we found a camp site in pa to park it year round.  So I don’t need a truck for hauling the camper for the next few years.  I have a friend who’s hauling it there for me. 

I’ve been looking at GMC, Chevy and Dodge they all have a bunch in my price range but most are v6s.  Are the newer 6s strong enough to pull a camper of that size when the time comes? If we do leave that place we would most likely stay in a 2hr radius of our home. 

I don’t want to get a truck that’s a huge gas guzzler if I’m not constantly hauling but I need something that can still pull if needed.  I’m making sure whatever I get does have the trailer package built in. Open to any suggestions.  Currently the Chevy customs and trail bosses are peaking my interest. 

Edited by Swamp_bucks

I have no experience with the chevy or dodge 6s.

My work truck is a f150 with the 3.5l v6 ecoboost. I would take that all day long over my personal truck, a chevy 1500 with 5.3l v8. Amazes me how well it will pull a load. I've had over 14000 #s behind it a few times.  Dang loader operators at the quarry can't tell the difference between 3 ton and 6 some days. Lol

There is a big difference between a full size PU with a V6 (like the F150 referenced above with the Ecoboost) and a mid-size pickup with the same engine.

I personally would not haul a trailer of that size with a Ranger with a V6 for instance.   I like the Ranger, but the vehicle is much lighter and would be concerned about swaying.

Just my opinion, but have owned a lot of different trucks of different sizes over the year (Chevy, Dodge, Ford).   i currently have an F250 diesel and think it is the best truck I have ever owned.

14 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

There is a big difference between a full size PU with a V6 (like the F150 referenced above with the Ecoboost) and a mid-size pickup with the same engine.

I personally would not haul a trailer of that size with a Ranger with a V6 for instance.   I like the Ranger, but the vehicle is much lighter and would be concerned about swaying.

Just my opinion, but have owned a lot of different trucks of different sizes over the year (Chevy, Dodge, Ford).   i currently have an F250 diesel and think it is the best truck I have ever owned.

Should of put down that I was looking at full size truck

Another vote for the 3.5l ecoboost. I have it in my f150 and haul my 25' camper to the adks  and back (4hr each way) each year with no trouble. I have a buddy who drives rigs for a living. He recently picked up a 4 cylinder and is amazed at how much these little engines can tow nowadays.

I know the Ford NA V6 in the F150 is a turd when it comes to power. My friends dad had one and that thing couldn’t get out of its own way if it was going downhill with the wind behind its back. 

I can’t speak to the other manufacturers though as I’ve had a ford for my last three trucks. If I remember right at least with the Ram V6 gas milage really wasn’t that much better than the V8’s. 

You shouldn't have a problem with a 6 esp if it's just an occasional tow.  As said above trucks these days are different.  I have an F150 6c and has plenty of power and gets better mileage than the frontier I had. Just be sure to get the towing package with it.   Good luck  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

As long a sits a fullsize truck(Half ton) you will be fine, The v6 has the power for those occassional pulls. Just use tow haul mode because its harder on the tranny than it is the engine. Your also going to want trailer brake assist installed even if its only an occassional pull, lots of hills between NY and PA. Its really how the trucks are setup these days that bother me, I love my mopar but hated that they put Coils in the rear, I replaced them with +70% springs. Maintains factory ride qulaity but greatly increases payload for better handling while hauling or loaded. Fords and chevys will probably handle better if they have leaf springs in the rear unless you wanted to upgrade the rears on the dodge.. Or you can get the hitch weight distribution setup (should have it regardless of the truck when pulling a camper) 

But yes a v6 has plenty of powerto pull it, just make sure you buy a half ton truck or bigger 

So my truck is a 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. When I head to camp, the camper, food, 4 kayaks, 4 bikes, blackstone, propane, wood, and other misc camp gear all weighs in less than 8,500. If I remember right, my truck is tow rated for somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000 lbs. Newer models with that motor are rated closer to 14,000lbs. A quick search would confirm those numbers. Either way, much more than is needed for occasionally pulling a camper.

Are you looking new or used?  New, of your list the only company still offering a v6 is ram. Chevy’s base motor is a turbo 4cyl. 

The ford eco boosts cannot be compared to the rams 3.6 V6. Ive owned a couple eco boosts and the state bought a few V6 rams at work. The eco boosts both the 2.7 and 3.5 are animals!  I feel like the 3.6 in the rams are a dog with no load, I couldn’t imagine pulling a trailer with one. 

Chevy/gmc’s  turbo 4cyl’s are peppy and not bad for every day driving and would probably be fine with towing once in a while but you’re going to know you have a small engine in a big truck.

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Are you looking new or used?  New, of your list the only company still offering a v6 is ram. Chevy’s base motor is a turbo 4cyl. 

The ford eco boosts cannot be compared to the rams 3.6 V6. Ive owned a couple eco boosts and the state bought a few V6 rams at work. The eco boosts both the 2.7 and 3.5 are animals!  I feel like the 3.6 in the rams are a dog with no load, I couldn’t imagine pulling a trailer with one. 

Chevy/gmc’s  turbo 4cyl’s are peppy and not bad for every day driving and would probably be fine with towing once in a while but you’re going to know you have a small engine in a big truck.

Looking at used ‘15-‘20,21

No v6, definitely no 4 cylinder. Stay clear of any of the turbo motors. Very unreliable and hard to work on. The little Ford is the worst one ever made. The GM 5.3 is the most reliable truck engine ever made. V8 power baby. Problem with many v6 trucks is they aren’t set up to tow, many dont even have a transmission cooler on them. Do your research, you will find lots of info. Proof is in the pudding. 

Edited by Spaceman Spiff