IGNORED

CWD. What's up Now???

I wouldn't take much from this article. Everything is all theory in this with out any proof to be honest. Allegedly the guy eats a lot of deer in a CWD zone and has rapid onset of symptoms. While it may be enough to start a study, its far from proof to support the title of the page. Its mostly just for click bait. It's possible that's exactly what happens, but just as likely its a complete coincidence. How many hundreds of thousands eat deer from CWD zones, and they've only identified 2 that MAYBE can be attributed to CWD?

The article is meant to attract attention and scare people. Nothing more at this point.  

26 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I wouldn't take much from this article. Everything is all theory in this with out any proof to be honest. Allegedly the guy eats a lot of deer in a CWD zone and has rapid onset of symptoms. While it may be enough to start a study, its far from proof to support the title of the page. Its mostly just for click bait. It's possible that's exactly what happens, but just as likely its a complete coincidence. How many hundreds of thousands eat deer from CWD zones, and they've only identified 2 that MAYBE can be attributed to CWD?

The article is meant to attract attention and scare people. Nothing more at this point.  

Agree 100%. There's a ton of threads on bowsite every year about CWD and how people probably eat deer with it without knowing for years with no issue.

20 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Agree with the clickbait call. If you’re Field & Stream, a once massive magazine now relegated to a couple thousand online members, you’re going to need sensational headlines to get any viewership at all.  

yea NYC interests sent it to the grave along with Outdoor Life that followed suit. New investors/owners that include Morgan Wallen and Eric Church are supposedly bringing it back to print and also purchased the retail portion from Dick's Sporting Goods. CWD is a controversial topic that has science behind it and commands headlines. It'd be apocalyptic if we turned a blind eye to CWD and infected deer passed the disease onto people. its click bait for sure but not misleading when "quick to point out" that it was a potential connection and not proven. i've always wanted to hunt some trophy whitetail states that happen to be packed with CWD. I don't think i could knowingly eat meat from a CWD positive deer. that'd be a hindsight pill i don't really want to swallow! lol

I love these publications.   To call this a "study" is a stretch; it is more a case(s) report.  IMO, these are the key takeaways:

...the authors suggest "a possible novel animal-to-human transmission of CWD." 

The authors of the April 9 study are quick to point out that causation for the recent CJD cases in hunters remains unproven

Surveillance and further research are essential to better understand this possible association.

Here's another hypothesis.  It's just as possible the prions are in the soil, being uptaked by the plants, and the plants being consumed by humans and deer.

5 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Pretty much what I was thinking after reading this. Alot of "could've and possibly". 

• I was reading on how long it takes to show signs of CJD and the article said between 15 months and 30 years. Once symptoms begin death for most is a year or less. With a timeframe of that long it would be hard to do a human study no one is going to want to purposely eat CWD contaminated meat. I know some monkey studies have been done and seams to say might be possible that CWD maybe able to jump the species's barrier. Something that would be easy to do would be a study in a CWD area of hunters who have passed away and cause of death. And see if there's a cluster of deaths from CJD then it has be compared to hunter in non CWD area and to those who don't eat venison as a control 
Edited by Larry

outdoor life did an article basically saying that absolutely nothing to support any thing nor is there nearly enough info even to draw any conclusion.... and field and stream pulled there article reporting of the orginal article