IGNORED

Cordless drill ice auger bits...

mowin

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

Thinking about buying an Electric Auger . I have an older Black & Decker drill would that be good to use or should I just go for the full blown Ice Auger ensemble ?

I would either get a newer “brushless” 18volt drill that you can use all year, or get the dedicated electric ice drill.  I don’t think an older Black and Decker would last very long drilling ice.

Run an Ice Master adaptor on a Dewalt 18V drill with a 6 " auger.  Drill is old, and brushes are getting bad, but I can run 2 batteries all day and drill easily 30 or more holes in 5-8 inches of ice.   I do carry the auger handle in case the drill dies.

Keep the auger razor sharp, and it will shave the ice at low RPMs with minimal torque needed.

I've run a Milwaukee 18V brushless hammer-drill for many years now, with 1200ftlbs of torque, and a Nils head in either 7" or 8" flavors. Two years ago, I purchased a Nero bit, with is Russian made steel distributed by HT. You can purchase the auger alone for ~$60 or as a kit with a drill adapter for ~$110. Since I use a Clam drill plate ( invaluable to me), I opted for the former. The beauty of the Nero is that it breaks down into three pieces. Hence, you can have a very short auger that fits practically anywhere, is extremely light, and cuts like fire. The downside is that you need to bend over to finish the hole, and if the ice is >24", it won't work. Just another option. 

4 minutes ago, Keith Nehrke said:

I've run a Milwaukee 18V brushless hammer-drill for many years now, with 1200ftlbs of torque, and a Nils head in either 7" or 8" flavors. Two years ago, I purchased a Nero bit, with is Russian made steel distributed by HT. You can purchase the auger alone for ~$60 or as a kit with a drill adapter for ~$110. Since I use a Clam drill plate ( invaluable to me), I opted for the former. The beauty of the Nero is that it breaks down into three pieces. Hence, you can have a very short auger that fits practically anywhere, is extremely light, and cuts like fire. The downside is that you need to bend over to finish the hole, and if the ice is >24", it won't work. Just another option. 

What is the advantage of the drill plate over just a adapter? 

This is the 8” one I bought last year. Going to drill some test holes later this morning on a north Jersey private pond to see if we have safe ice. Lots of local reports of 5-7” so far and that was a day or so ago. 

3991A2EA-281A-4B7A-8314-DB73C44B0AD8.png

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Now I'm thinking about just getting the Strike master 24v electric auger for $429..  It would end up saving me money, as I would need a new Milwaukee drill $160, a new 5amp or large battery as my current 5amp is probably 7 yrs old $160. And the bit at $200, for a total over $520. 

I get it, I'll always have the drill to use during the off season, but I don't use the one I have, as I use my drill driver 99% of the time.  

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

Now I'm thinking about just getting the Strike master 24v electric auger for $429..  It would end up saving me money, as I would need a new Milwaukee drill $160, a new 5amp or large battery as my current 5amp is probably 7 yrs old $160. And the bit at $200, for a total over $520. 

I get it, I'll always have the drill to use during the off season, but I don't use the one I have, as I use my drill driver 99% of the time.  

I did exactly that. I wanted a 6” lite flight and on cyber Monday I found the 24v with 2 batteries and a 6” for 379$ free shipping. Figured if I liked my drill better I’d sell the power head and buy a new drill battery and be ahead.

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I did exactly that. I wanted a 6” lite flight and on cyber Monday I found the 24v with 2 batteries and a 6” for 379$ free shipping. Figured if I liked my drill better I’d sell the power head and buy a new drill battery and be ahead.

Now that makes sense.  If the power head craps out, I can always use the lite flight with a cordless drill. 

17 minutes ago, mowin said:

Now that makes sense.  If the power head craps out, I can always use the lite flight with a cordless drill. 

Just make sure to buy a size that will allow any fish in the waters you ice fish to make it through the hole. My old hand auger was only 6” which had been fine until we hooked a rather large channel cat that didn’t fit through the hole.  Luckily we had a small gaff that allowed us to yank it up through the hole. That one got eaten as we beat it up pulling it through. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

At 429$, 529$ after you buy another battery. I personally wouldn’t walk out on the ice without a spare. The power head doesn’t/didn’t make sense to me. For the price I paid when I was buying a 6” anyways was a no brainer.