IGNORED

Ice fishing reels.

mowin

I've been intrigued by the inline reels that have become popular over the past few yrs.  Some of the videos I watched make some good points why they use them.  No Line twist seems to be the biggest advantage. 

Anyone using one, and do they make a difference in the amount of fish your catching? 

I have used inline reels that were designed for ice fishing and fly reels.  I could never quite get the hang of it.  The line (I usually use 2 or 3 LB test) seemed to always get caught inside the reel seat or just never would stay on the reel.

I prefer spinning reels overall.  Don’t ever reel when drag is going off, and change your line frequently - that helps a lot.  Depending on the lure, I might add a very small swivel 3 feet up from my lure.      And I bring 4 or 5 setups with me, so if one is twisted or giving my problems, I just change rods.  

I do have a bait caster setup for lake trout but have not really used it very much.  

I'll play devil's advocate and lobby for inline reels in deeper water. I've noticed that finicky perch in 30 ft don't like to see a spinning pimple, and deep water crappie love to hit a slowly falling bait. If I mark fish on the graph, I let it drop using the free spool option, and I don't even wait for a hit, just drop and set. Fish on. The best combination of cost/utility that I've found is the 13 Fishing Ghost - it's composite not metal, but the drag is great and the line doesn't get caught in the spool. I put 6 lb main line on all my inline reels, with a top shot of fluorcarbon suited to presentation. I've also used cheaper inline reels with less success.