IGNORED

Hunting Property Purchase

phade

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

thanks for the input guys...   Livingston County taxes are not reasonable by any stretch...   My taxes are up over $8k now..   I have a cabin which increases the value but I know people that have $1m houses in other states that don't pay half of that..   Especially now that you can't deduct on tax return..   brutal..

Livingston county is worse than average but far from worst, so what does that tell you. We're close to yours in Rensselear county and there's at least 16 counties of the 57 outside of NYC that have a higher tax rate than Livingston on tax.ny.gov site. what people don't get is the richer and more populated counties aren't even the bad ones it seems, because there's overall more revenue coming in. Monroe county Rochester area sucks more. Someone from Broome or Allegany County want to way in? At least property values in the last two are lower to offset some of the cost. Rochester area not so much.

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

here in NY you really have to have cash in hand and buy tax auction property. otherwise it's too expensive.

I've tried this approach as well and have looked at many different county tax auctions over the past 2 years.  I still haven't been successful in finding something that would fit my needs / wants.  There have been several properties that piqued my interest but all of them have ultimately been pulled from the auction listings before the sale occurred.  Maybe I've just been too picky though.

25 minutes ago, escpen said:

I've tried this approach as well and have looked at many different county tax auctions over the past 2 years.  I still haven't been successful in finding something that would fit my needs / wants.  There have been several properties that piqued my interest but all of them have ultimately been pulled from the auction listings before the sale occurred.  Maybe I've just been too picky though.

need time and keep a slush fund being safely invested until you need to pull it quickly.... something people really don't have the means to do. no property will be perfect but you'd be surprised what you can make something into. we turned a $13.5k 40 acre wet property into mostly dry ag field farmable and ready for development of a solar farm. sold it for 18x what we paid. as a recreational property though you're just trying to get the most for your buck. land is one of the few things in this world you really can't make more of, unless you're China dredging the beaches out from under Taiwan.

• 1 month later...

FFS with capitals.

I had a deal done in principal with a dream property in Missouri bordering my lease.

The owning family owns 900 acres and were selling off a 130-140 piece with the father’s home and barn. He wanted to stay there and I didn’t want the home or barn. Just the land. The father was ecstatic because he could remain in the house. Kids (Adults) wanted more land sold for $. Only stipulation was a guy from Florida was coming up on Friday to look at the place and was interested in buying the whole thing. As long as he didn’t offer the contract, we were ready to go today to execute. Partitioning the home and barn was approved by the town too.

He offered the contract yesterday and bought 200 of their acres including the home and barn. The father is sad, kids are happy, and I’m on the outside looking in. The FL guy is going to have relatives hunt it, too.

FFS.

4 minutes ago, phade said:

FFS with capitals.

I had a deal done in principal with a dream property in Missouri bordering my lease.

The owning family owns 900 acres and were selling off a 130-140 piece with the father’s home and barn. He wanted to stay there and I didn’t want the home or barn. Just the land. The father was ecstatic because he could remain in the house. Kids (Adults) wanted more land sold for $. Only stipulation was a guy from Florida was coming up on Friday to look at the place and was interested in buying the whole thing. As long as he didn’t offer the contract, we were ready to go today to execute. Partitioning the home and barn was approved by the town too.

He offered the contract yesterday and bought 200 of their acres including the home and barn. The father is sad, kids are happy, and I’m on the outside looking in. The FL guy is going to have relatives hunt it, too.

FFS.

That sucks when you're so close to a deal.

15 minutes ago, phade said:

FFS with capitals.

FFS.

Ugh man, that sucks.  Majorly disappointing when you're on the cusp of closing a deal and envisioning the future.

1 hour ago, phade said:

FFS with capitals.

FFS.

Bummer. Everything happens 4 a reason.

5 hours ago, phade said:

FFS with capitals.

FFS.

Sounds pretty dirty for his kids to do that to him. Sucks for you, but these guys don't sound all that good to me.

20 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Sounds pretty dirty for his kids to do that to him. Sucks for you, but these guys don't sound all that good to me.

Nah, the kids while wanting money, aren’t horrible. Just working through that tough transition when patriarchs age. 

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

For the amount of money and travel to buy way out in Missouri could prob do a 10 day elk hunt every year for the next 12-15 years and still be ahead. 

That’s what I always said. If I had to buy land, I’d just fly out west each year instead . Now with my nephews great spot in Tenn. after tryin it out this up coming Fall I may just wack a buck there each year ,and social hunt around here with friends a few times .

Im to,old and lazy to make hunting a project with scouting, moving stands ,trimming etc .

Well good luck on the search .

Edited by Nomad