IGNORED

Frost Seeding

On 5/2/2023 at 4:33 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

If your soil is nitrogen low it certainly doesn't hurt but clover doesn't really need it and will actually add nitrogen to the soil. At least from what I've read. 

Correct, clover is a “nitrogen fixer” which is why farmers plant it after depleting nitrogen in the soils with crops like corn. Soybeans are another good nitrogen fixer, and that’s why many farmers rotate corn and beans over the years. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

I mowed my backyard plot over the weekend, a fall Bulb blend planted plot I frost seeded several perennial and annual clovers as well as  chicory, and a few weeks back seeded alfalfa into. Life must have got in the way as I totally forgot the original plan was to fall seed perennials into it before frost and after the bulbs got near mature...

Its a mess now, but the frost seedings are up several inches but not as well as id hope since i put it down heavy. Lots of weed competition since I forgot my fall overseed..  Hoping to get some good growth after mowing down some competing weeds. If its not quite to my liking by fall, Ill replant perennials/annuals and Wheat/Rye  

Pic was from last fall.. 

IMG_9450.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

What I think is happening right now at the hunting lease! 

HAhw.gif

There's a part of me that knows how good this is for my clover and another that knows this means I'll have to mow that whole damn orchard again soon lol

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

What I think is happening right now at the hunting lease! 

HAhw.gif

I checked some spots on 3 properties.  Corn, oats/clover I planted 10 days ago is finally coming up.  A strip of clover that struggled in standing water got scuffed and overseeded.  That is filling in nicely.  Woods plots that I scuffed up with chain harrows and seeded have germinated, but haven't done much yet.  Old pasture that I have tried to frost seed isn't great.  Too much grass competition.  The deer still use it, but it isn't much to look at.  

4 hours ago, Stubborn1vt said:

I checked some spots on 3 properties.  Corn, oats/clover I planted 10 days ago is finally coming up.  A strip of clover that struggled in standing water got scuffed and overseeded.  That is filling in nicely.  Woods plots that I scuffed up with chain harrows and seeded have germinated, but haven't done much yet.  Old pasture that I have tried to frost seed isn't great.  Too much grass competition.  The deer still use it, but it isn't much to look at.  

Glad some of it is taking !  We've been getting a ton of rain and looks to be for the next week or so.  I'm going over to land this weekend and will check out a couple of close spots that I seeded to see how it looks now after that drought we had for a month.  

Can you spray or burn off that old pasture area?  You could do that late summer for the fall and plant a perennial plot to get it established then boost it by frost seeding in the spring.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

I over seeded my clover/chicory plot in the spring with Antler King Booner Buffet (mix of clover, chicory, two types of alfalfa, and some rapeseed). While doing so, I seeded a few bare spots where I ground out stumps earlier. Thought this would give me a nice little "test" spot to keep an eye on. I just stopped out to check on how things were growing after the recent rain. Coming up nicely! 

IMG_7765.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

19 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Glad some of it is taking !  We've been getting a ton of rain and looks to be for the next week or so.  I'm going over to land this weekend and will check out a couple of close spots that I seeded to see how it looks now after that drought we had for a month.  

Can you spray or burn off that old pasture area?  You could do that late summer for the fall and plant a perennial plot to get it established then boost it by frost seeding in the spring.  

I thought about burning off the pasture, but it's an hour away from my house.  I wasn't able to time it right this spring.  Also, it's not my land or even family land.  It's organic, so no spray.  I mow it 2-3x a year, which should be enough.  Two years of frost seeding hasn't amounted to much.  Good thing it's small and clover seed is cheap.  The deer don't seem to mind, especially when they scalp off all the hay land next door.  It would be a killer brassica plot.  I still think I can kill one there if I hunt it enough, but don't over hunt it.  Guess I'm just greedy and want to see more results for me efforts.  

Mowed and pulled a card last Sunday.  3-4 does.  2 small bucks.  Bobcat.  Hen turkey. Raccoon.  Coyote.  I have had bear pics there in the past.  

1 hour ago, Stubborn1vt said:

I thought about burning off the pasture, but it's an hour away from my house.  I wasn't able to time it right this spring.  Also, it's not my land or even family land.  It's organic, so no spray.  I mow it 2-3x a year, which should be enough.  Two years of frost seeding hasn't amounted to much.  Good thing it's small and clover seed is cheap.  The deer don't seem to mind, especially when they scalp off all the hay land next door.  It would be a killer brassica plot.  I still think I can kill one there if I hunt it enough, but don't over hunt it.  Guess I'm just greedy and want to see more results for me efforts.  

Mowed and pulled a card last Sunday.  3-4 does.  2 small bucks.  Bobcat.  Hen turkey. Raccoon.  Coyote.  I have had bear pics there in the past.  

You can also throw out seed in the late summer before you cut then cut it all down and the old stuff will act like thatch and help the seeds to germinate.  Also pulling the equipment over it will help push the seed to the ground for contact.  

sounds like a neat spot!  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Area I cut then frost seeded this spring is incredible.  Trail frost seeding not as good for sure, but the area I cut the trail back sure is. Comeback Kid seed .image.png.0319ec479e4d46a633f3cb3bb3bae365.png

PXL_20230616_141105577.jpg

PXL_20230616_141041153.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish