IGNORED

Frost Seeding

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

PXL_20230625_131752539.jpg

did a trail check Sunday while I was out putting up a cam.  Only checked a very close area but looks great.    

this pic reminds me of what I spent over an hour doing yesterday on my trails. Hacking back shit that overhangs to get sunlight. The briars are the worse, but saplings are a pain too.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

1 hour ago, Belo said:

this pic reminds me of what I spent over an hour doing yesterday on my trails. Hacking back shit that overhangs to get sunlight. The briars are the worse, but saplings are a pain too.

it is a constant battle.  Our place is so thick there are many spots you would have to crawl thru.  We spend lots of time in March and April as weather allows cutting brush and hauling it away. This spot I cleared all the way down the trail for about 125 yards and back into the brush about 10-15 yards.  Had 4 huge piles of brush from it stacked back in the thickets.  But seeded it after with Clover and it really took off !   

Prob a couple more seasons and we will have the trails cut back enough that we can just keep up with it with the brush hog.  

PXL_20230408_131329806.jpgPXL_20230625_131551865.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

• 4 months later...

Great deal on Whitetail Institute clover 4lb bags on Amazon for black Friday...FYI 

But can buy it now, don't have to wait til Friday. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

On 11/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, Bucndoe said:

I frost seeded my switchgrass right before Opening Day. Going to be doing a Whitetail Institute clover plot next year

That’s what I’m doing with our newest plot we created this yr. Soil is cruddy so I gotta add a ton more lime and this will build the soil up as well. 
We have always done fall planting on our other plot so I’m anxious to see how this does in the fall attracting deer. Not sure there is a better clover than WI.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:09 AM, Land1 said:

just fyi las time i ordered seed tis spring  from amazon it was two and 3 yrs old...

got mine in the mail today and it was proofed April '23 so i should be ok

1 hour ago, ZAG said:

That’s what I’m doing with our newest plot we created this yr. Soil is cruddy so I gotta add a ton more lime and this will build the soil up as well. 
We have always done fall planting on our other plot so I’m anxious to see how this does in the fall attracting deer. Not sure there is a better clover than WI.

I'm a big fan of Comeback kid from Domain seeds but I've had good luck with both and also Outside Pride.  The deal for the WI I jumped on and then also found on Blaines farm supply a good deal on Domain seeds too.  

• 3 months later...

I think I am going to start frost seeding this weekend.  Its early but this weather is ridiculous and next week into the 50s and 60s again.  Stuff is going to be greening up soon at this rate.  I hate to seed this early for fear the seed rots without enough steady temp and lots of water but want to get it out there before new growth takes over.  Been on the DL for over a month now with back issues and cabin fever is setting in.  Plus frost seeding might keep me from brush cutting for another weekend.   The weather doesn't look great but Fri looks pretty good and I have it off for an appt, brunch with the GF, and maybe some AM frost seeding in there. 

I talked to a couple older farmers last week and they said to go for it.  The types of seed we use for frost seeding are hard and resilient.  I was worried that they would germinate and get killed off by a cold snap, but they assured me that the seed wouldn't sprout until soil temps were high enough.  Makes sense.

I hit one plot at the farm with a big mix of white clover, medium red and some chicory.  The plot is shaded to the south and somewhat to the west.  I was surprised to find a couple inches of snow, but I seeded it.

I have a couple strips to do here at the house, but I'll wait until after this week's rain.  Also have two small spots in the woods, but I need to rake off the leaf litter first.   It's nice to get out and be productive.  

On a different note, I saw my first deer tick on Sunday.  It was crawling on my cousin's white dog.  Still snow in the woods in my hometown and the ticks were already active.  High that day was 44 degrees.  Be careful out there!