IGNORED

Frost Seeding

9 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Did you hit it with fertilizer yet Rob? I need to make some calls to find some zero nitrogen fertilizer for mine.

No haven't fertilized it.  Prob won't this season but thinking next year I shouldn't need to frost seed much for 3 years or so , then prob will do a fert run in the spring for it.  I picked up some for my fall plots already though and have it in the shed.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

I just called the local fertilizer place. I'm picking up a bag of 0-20-20 tomorrow. $28 for a 50lb bag. Hope to get it broadcast into the clover plot before the rain comes this weekend. My clover plot was great the first year, but last year it seemed to be getting more and more grass in it. I keep it mowed and have never used herbicides in it, so hoping a hit of fertilizer will help make it thrive and choke out the grass. 

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Looks great!  Can't believe how well it works. I swear by it now.  To the point I'm prob not going to do fall plots in a couple spots I was considering because the clover has taken so well.  

yeah i was always skeptical as well. After all it took a ton of work and time to plant with equipment, but damn if this didn't work out well. I do imagine if I tried with no prep or the previous work it wouldn't have done as well.

I'll still try fall plots because they're cool looking haha. Plus I already bought all the crap to do it.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

I must have done it right, I was at the farm this last weekend and my spring plot is crazy flush and green. A good chunk is now under water though and it doesn't look it's going to dry anytime soon.

Ran out in between showers today and broadcasted 100lbs of 0-20-20 fertilizer into my clover/chicory plot. Figured with rain over the next 4 days, it'll help get it into the ground.

It has Whitetail Institute Fusion in it now, but I over seeded with last fall with Antler King Trophy Clover/Chicory. For a little more variety, I ordered Antler King Booner Buffet seed, that is supposed to arrive on Thursday. Plan to have that seed broadcasted by the end of the day Thursday. Hoping all the "goodies" will choke out the grass! I mow it regularly, but the grass seemed to be overtaking the plot last summer.

Edited by Cabin Fever

I checked the pH 2 years ago and I just remember not having to do anything about it. I should have checked it again before adding my fertilizer, but didn't. Had a soil sample drying in the garage, so I tested it out of curiosity. Looks to be somewhere between 6,5-7,0. :up: If the fertilizer, over seeding, and constant mowing doesn't help the clover to thrive and take over the weeds, I might need to resort to herbicides...:down:

20 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Ran out in between showers today and broadcasted 100lbs of 0-20-20 fertilizer into my clover/chicory plot. Figured with rain over the next 4 days, it'll help get it into the ground.

It has Whitetail Institute Fusion in it now, but I over seeded with last fall with Antler King Trophy Clover/Chicory. For a little more variety, I ordered Antler King Booner Buffet seed, that is supposed to arrive on Thursday. Plan to have that seed broadcasted by the end of the day Thursday. Hoping all the "goodies" will choke out the grass! I mow it regularly, but the grass seemed to be overtaking the plot last summer.

no nitrogen? I thought that was the most common for clover, or at least that was what my soil test called for. I dumped a ton of nitrogen and a little bit of potash last year. Didn't add anything this year to my spring plot, but will probably do some 10-10-10 on my fall plot.

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

no nitrogen? I thought that was the most common for clover, or at least that was what my soil test called for. I dumped a ton of nitrogen and a little bit of potash last year. Didn't add anything this year to my spring plot, but will probably do some 10-10-10 on my fall plot.

If your soil is nitrogen low it certainly doesn't hurt but clover doesn't really need it and will actually add nitrogen to the soil. At least from what I've read. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If your soil is nitrogen low it certainly doesn't hurt but clover doesn't really need it and will actually add nitrogen to the soil. At least from what I've read. 

you're right, i think i've heard that too. Anyhow, that was what my soil samples called for. Much better than the "just wing it" method haha.

1 minute ago, Belo said:

you're right, i think i've heard that too. Anyhow, that was what my soil samples called for. Much better than the "just wing it" method haha.

Good info from these guys on podcasts for seeding. This one was on clover and I think they talked about nitrogen. https://mossyoakgamekeeper.com/watch/ep107-a-deep-dive-into-growing-clover/

58 minutes ago, Belo said:

Yeah, I guess since clover produces nitrogen itself, if you add nitrogen to the fertilizer, it would only benefit the grass and weeds competition. God knows I have enough of that shit already...

FERTILIZE YOUR CLOVER

It is also important if you want longevity from your perennials to feed them from time to time. It’s best to fertilize with what your soil test results recommend. Most often the best fertilizer for clover will recommend around 300 lbs of 0-20-20 per acre annually. Many choose to fertilize at planting time and then during the spring annually thereafter. Some also believe that a boost of potassium during the late summer in the north, or early fall in the south, can increase cold hardiness of the stand. About 200-250 lbs of 0-0-60 per acre should suffice. 

9 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I checked the pH 2 years ago and I just remember not having to do anything about it. I should have checked it again before adding my fertilizer, but didn't. Had a soil sample drying in the garage, so I tested it out of curiosity. Looks to be somewhere between 6,5-7,0. :up: If the fertilizer, over seeding, and constant mowing doesn't help the clover to thrive and take over the weeds, I might need to resort to herbicides...:down:

Year 2 for us the frost seeding really took off.  I was reading on the Domain site that second year it will flourish more as the roots have time to get established better too