IGNORED

Started on plots

2 hours ago, G-man said:

Corn all in was 2 passes short..( 4 rows) may put pumpkins or winter squash in last 10 ft  of fieldreceived_204462259076665.jpeg.56887b184660350ea7aa2f660b10dfa6.jpeg

You could put in (4) rows of sweetcorn.  I like to do that, adjacent to my rr corn, because it draws out the coons early, so that I  can eradicate them with traps and my .22 over the summer.  That way they are eliminated before they can damage my field corn.  

For many years, I mistaking  believed wild turkeys were hurting my field corn.  The truth is, wild turkeys won’t touch that corn, unless it is first knocked down for them by coons.  

I’d go with two rows of silver queen (90 day), next to your field corn and two rows of butter & sugar (70 day) on the outside.  Set dog-proof traps baited with cat food and/or box traps, baited with peanut butter coated marshmallows as soon as the sweetcorn starts forming ears.  The coons will start hitting it a couple days before it’s ripe enough to eat.

If you eliminate enough of the coons, you might get enough sweetcorn to eat yourself fresh, sell, give away or freeze, especially the latter stuff.  As long as my sweetcorn draws out most of the local coons for early slaughter, it has done its job in saving my fieldcorn for the deer, as far as I am concerned.  

NY state requires that “damaging” coons, that are trapped and killed by landowners or lessees, be burried or burned, prior to the opening of regular trapping season in October.  They don’t say how deep to bury them.  At my place in wmu 9f, coyotes seem to dig them up I no matter how deep I go, so lately I’ve just been covering them with a few inches of soil in order to minimize work and soil disruption. 

B7904D99-E68C-41D8-A5CF-50185BC6861B.jpeg.9a17611c5b3023c3aeb1c843eb1fe646.jpeg

This fat male got pretty adept at swiping the marshmallows out of the box trap last year, so I had to deploy the dog-proofs with cat food in order to get him.  Normally, I prefer the box traps, because they are easier to check from a distance.  

Edited by Wolc123

21 hours ago, G-man said:

Corn all in was 2 passes short..( 4 rows) may put pumpkins or winter squash in last 10 ft  of fieldreceived_204462259076665.jpeg.56887b184660350ea7aa2f660b10dfa6.jpeg

I would not put sweet corn anywhere near field corn.  IT WILL cross pollinate and make the sweet corn inedible.  At $20 something @# it would be a waste.  Probably better to stick with the pumpkin or squash. 

Great looking soil! I'm tilling some rocky soil today. 

On 5/17/2023 at 10:31 AM, JohnPlav said:

They’re prepping to plant something across the street.  It’s been corn for a few years, so maybe it’ll be soybeans.  

14944283-5E2A-480C-99DA-E862FE78D643.jpeg

Im guessing oats and clover. The roller behind the one tractor will let you know its a grain, as well as the drill behind the other tractor. The roller helps the combine harvest this low to the ground and not hit rocks etc.. Plus it presses the seed to the soils

51 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Im guessing oats and clover. The roller behind the one tractor will let you know its a grain, as well as the drill behind the other tractor. The roller helps the combine harvest this low to the ground and not hit rocks etc.. Plus it presses the seed to the soils

As long as deer eat it… that’s fine with me! 

59 minutes ago, JohnPlav said:

As long as deer eat it… that’s fine with me! 

Sure will, if its oats, you should watch the deer hammer them oat head/seeds once they mature. Deer absolutely love them. Once harvested (my best guess is there's clover there too) the clover will pop up good. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, JohnPlav said:

It’s a neighbors field across the road.  Over 100 acres.  When it’s soybeans the deer tend to hit it later and spent more time on our land.  Plus it might make our corn plots a bit more appealing. 

That's big enough to get their attention.