IGNORED

Ash tree treatment.

3 hours ago, mowin said:

NYS prohibits all firewood(not just ash) from another state.  Firewood can only be transported 50 liner miles from where it was cut unless heat treated for a certain amount of time at a certain temp.  You even need to write up a note saying where it was cut when transporting firewood.  

but like all things invasive people didn't follow the rules and that shit spread... sucks.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

Imidacloprid is what's recommended for the homeowner, but it just doesn't work very well. It's used as a basal root drench. The stuff professionals inject works, but it's pricey, and you need to reinject it every two years, as I recall. Goodbye, Ash. Next on the horizon is oak, beech, and maple. From wilt, nematodes, and sapsuckers, respectively. And when they go, the invasive stuff comes in to fill the gap. It is beyond frustrating to be a woodlot manager. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:49 AM, Keith Nehrke said:

Imidacloprid is what's recommended for the homeowner, but it just doesn't work very well. It's used as a basal root drench. The stuff professionals inject works, but it's pricey, and you need to reinject it every two years, as I recall. Goodbye, Ash. Next on the horizon is oak, beech, and maple. From wilt, nematodes, and sapsuckers, respectively. And when they go, the invasive stuff comes in to fill the gap. It is beyond frustrating to be a woodlot manager. 

Mine were injected each two years 2x, then a tree guy told me to,just buy what I’m currently using as it’s the same stuff and drench around the tree  . The DEC won’t let commercial applications of the stuff to be dumped . He said If they could drench that’s what they would do .

idk that’s just what he said ,as far as imidacloprid I’m batting 1000, while all around me they’re dead .oh Bernie across the road is also batting 1000 as he uses it as well .

I'm batting .000 lol. But I tried to use it in a forest environment to save some seed trees, rather than a homeowner's place...not sure which applies to you. The Michigan DNR published a piece a few years ago comparing different treatment option's effectiveness. Decent reading. The gist was that root drench worked until it didn't, which is what I found, and that once the tops start to go, then anything you throw at them is useless. Ie, early prevention is crucial. I'm glad you got your treatments started in time, and I hope it continues to work for you.