IGNORED

Lots to do next couple of days

7 hours ago, grampy said:

Nice work!!! Besides shiners, what fish are you putting in there?

This will be a crappie pond..  my others have walleye,bass, perch, blue catfish, koi, trout ..  small ones are  crayfish. Fatheads. Emerad shiner and golden shiners. Oh and trapdoor snails

Edited by G-man

32 minutes ago, G-man said:

This will be a crappie pond..  my others have walleye,bass, perch, blue catfish, koi, trout ..  small ones are  crayfish. Fatheads. Emerad shiner and golden shiners. Oh and trapdoor snails

You in the bait/stocking business? 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

You in the bait/stocking business? 

No. Just like fish. Started when i talked to owner of hatchery with my 1st pond stocking.  He was very  helpful and knowledgeable.   I do use bait to fish my big  pond  or when i go other places. Perhaps when i retire i will sell.  Now i do help  other friends neighbors  stock and fix their  ponds..   hate dye  in a pond and its not needed  if dug right. Neither will you need grass carp if  pond is dug and stocked  properly.. 

• 4 months later...
58 minutes ago, virgil said:

Dumb question, i'm sure- what makes these ponds hold water?

Our abundant  clay here .  Usually a test hole is dug 6 ft or so deep to make sure you have enough clay to line  pond area. I did hit an out cropping  of bedrock shale in middle and had to  recover it with 1 ft  of clay and pack it  in this  pond when digging..  the dam is 20 ft at bottom and 7 ft  at top.