IGNORED

Let's talk fall food plots!

I Converted everything to perennial blends this year. Time just hasnt been on my side for doing several plots throughout the growing season. If a plot doesnt look good enough by end of July, It will get terminated and done into a big fall winter blend, then converted back to a high quality perennial blend for future seasons.. The right clovers and alfalfa will pull deer all winter long and can withstand the abuse from deer better than brassicas. 

I had a plot i did with Balansa, Crimson, Berseem and Aberlasting Clovers.. was beautiful and lush going into deer season, by mid winter the deer had it eaten to the gorund and they were still there digging.. Where the brassicas/bulbs were done by November 

Did a pre cut today on a couple of plots as stuff has been growing so much with all the rain.  Plots will go in the first weekend of Aug pending weather.  

Spot that was seeded after cutting brush this spring is booming with clover still.  

PXL_20230715_125831405.jpg

PXL_20230715_114704278.jpg

PXL_20230715_113111155.jpg

PXL_20230715_122854602.jpg

PXL_20230715_122844759.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

made some buck on bag purchases today to get ready for the fall. If my sprayer parts come in early enough I'll put some gly down on 1.5 acres.

This is my game plan. .5 acre of winter greens (this was simply because of a prime day deal) Planted last year and deer seemed to like the brasicas more than anything. It also has some turnips so I can keep trying those out.

The other half acre will be pure attraction. I haven't done oats yet and this claims to be early season oats and late season brasicas.

https://whitetailinstitute.com/imperial-pure-attraction-annual/

Finally, I'll try a 1/4 acre new spot of the honey hole.

https://antlerking.com/product/honey-hole-mix/

The other variable for me this year is the completely and udder lack of apples that will drop near my fall plot, so it wont be as scientific as i'd like.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

On 7/9/2023 at 1:39 PM, JohnPlav said:

Checked food plots today. Corn is doing great.  Turnips are not that great.  I planted daikon radishes for the first time, and they will definitely need to be thinned out soon.  All the fields around us are soybeans so hopefully the deer will have some interest in this different menu.  Also got a little guy shooting my 30+ year old bow. 

399D528F-0DA1-400B-B768-3005C9DD9A85.jpeg

41A8C848-C32B-4BAD-B0F4-F39351F6E57B.jpeg

4513C99D-A2A3-4930-8C32-C94345E1FDC0.jpeg

Wow... a little rain went a long way.  Shout out to @Robhuntandfish for mentioning domain brand seeds... the radishes are "illicit" and they are looking good. 

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

made some buck on bag purchases today to get ready for the fall. If my sprayer parts come in early enough I'll put some gly down on 1.5 acres.

This is my game plan. .5 acre of winter greens (this was simply because of a prime day deal) Planted last year and deer seemed to like the brasicas more than anything. It also has some turnips so I can keep trying those out.

The other half acre will be pure attraction. I haven't done oats yet and this claims to be early season oats and late season brasicas.

https://whitetailinstitute.com/imperial-pure-attraction-annual/

Finally, I'll try a 1/4 acre new spot of the honey hole.

https://antlerking.com/product/honey-hole-mix/

The other variable for me this year is the completely and udder lack of apples that will drop near my fall plot, so it wont be as scientific as i'd like.

I've had good luck with honey hole.  Using some again this year too. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

1 minute ago, JohnPlav said:

Wow... a little rain went a long way.  Shout out to @Robhuntandfish for mentioning domain brand seeds... the radishes are "illicit" and they are looking good. 

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

Wow I haven't used that one yet, looks great. 

sprayer is fixed. sprayed 1.5 acres with roundup. Super concentrate is up to $120 a gallon now and it's 2.5 ounces a gallon with a recommended 20 gallons an acre. ugh. Mowed a section of peaches that needed it and then the clover plot again. Man that clover is insane right now. Year 2 is really taking off and with the warm and rain and the recent cleth I put down it's really a nice site. I was rushing to get it all done before a late meeting I had so didn't snap any pics. 4 hours well spent.

Might actually have some time to do some treestand stuff this weekend as I wait to get a little closer to august before planting.

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

sprayer is fixed. sprayed 1.5 acres with roundup. Super concentrate is up to $120 a gallon now and it's 2.5 ounces a gallon with a recommended 20 gallons an acre. ugh. Mowed a section of peaches that needed it and then the clover plot again. Man that clover is insane right now. Year 2 is really taking off and with the warm and rain and the recent cleth I put down it's really a nice site. I was rushing to get it all done before a late meeting I had so didn't snap any pics. 4 hours well spent.

Might actually have some time to do some treestand stuff this weekend as I wait to get a little closer to august before planting.

I'm doing a bit of prep this weekend and thinking seeding next weekend.  This weekend looks dry and fairly cool and low humidity to get some work done. Then next weekend is looking like more rain so we moved everything up a week.   

56 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm doing a bit of prep this weekend and thinking seeding next weekend.  This weekend looks dry and fairly cool and low humidity to get some work done. Then next weekend is looking like more rain so we moved everything up a week.   

more rain, just in time for our family vacation up north haha

My plot is a swamp.  Hoping it dries out in the next couple weeks, but the forecast doesn't look great.  I frost seeded clover and that took in places.  Worst comes to worst I can just mow it once more.  The turkeys really like the clover.  They spend 8-10 hours a day out there. Sure would like a good crop of brassicas.  I think a plot is going to draw this year because around me there is very little mast.  Guess we'll get what we get.  Last year at this time I was praying for a quarter of an inch of rain.  We got more than that in 10 minutes last night.  SMH.

My corn/oat plot is looking pretty good today.  I got a good kill on the weeds that I cultivated and sprayed a couple weeks ago and the oats I sowed into it prior to the rain is germinating very well. They are coming up a lot better in the rows  where I “cultipacked” with my tractor tires.

3B2076A3-5626-4770-A58E-C67BA3515EB8.thumb.jpeg.8b0fac69932e0d7d216fa1d7e7e0f518.jpeg

Edited by Wolc123

Took advantage of a rare day without rain and expanded a micro plot in the woods.  Raked off the leaves and pine needles and roughed it up with a leaf rake.  Put down a little winter rye and some Sugar Momma from Domain Outdoors.  The plot is on top of a hill, so it was plenty dry. 

My 1 acre plot has pockets of standing water.  I'm not sure when/if that will be dry enough to work.  I cut back some brush on another small staging plot yesterday and checked a camera further back in.  There was water running in the log road in one spot and I even "jumped" a couple frogs.  

I have one other plot that I would like to sweeten up using the same method as today.  That one is at the family farm, an hour away.  I'll need to get a new leaf rake though.  My 10 year old rake gave up the ghost today.  I know it's 10 years old, because I bought it when I started working for myself full time.  Need to go buy some fertilizer too.  A bag or two of 0-20-20 for the clover, a bag or two of triple 19 for oats and brassicas and a bag of urea to top dress.

Looking forward to more plot work if the weather allows.  I'll try to remember to take some pics if my woods plot turns out well.