IGNORED

Let's talk fall food plots!

18 hours ago, KungFu Tolkien said:

Friendly reminder that the deer patterns you see now will be nothing like what you see come rut.

Hate the rut rather hunt early when there are patterns and bucks are still hanging in groups. Thankfully season open oct 1 and that makes some great hunting . Much better than  waiting for a buck to come by in the rut. 

If you have no hot doe near by your chance in the rut is slim.  Further the buck you want maybe  miles away looking for doe. 

On 9/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, Wolc123 said:

When it comes to cerial grains, the following list is in the deer’s order of preference, with their favorite on top:

1) oats

2) wheat

3) rye

4) barley 

I’m not sure about the barley, but I know that oats will not survive a hard frost.

I put in a couple of oat plots (one mixed with rr corn), earlier this year, mostly for an early September antlerless gun season attractant.  

Wheat is my usual go-to as a late fall deer attractant , mostly because it is usually the cheapest and easiest to find, but that really shouldn’t be planted in NY before September 1.  

I plan on getting in a plot of it this weekend, but that is unlikely to grow enough for much early September attraction (I’ll count on the oats for that). Besides late fall, deer absolutely love wheat in the winter and early spring, when the pickings from other food sources are at their lowest.    

I always plant white clover, along with the wheat, and I make sure to Bush hog the wheat by late spring.  The clover really takes off after that.  

It’s been more than 10 years since I planted any rye.  It just don’t make sense for me to pay more for something that deer like less, and is harder to find.  It does pull less nitrogen out of the ground than wheat, which may be why some folks like to plant it.   That is of no advantage, mixed with clover as I use it, because clover fixes its own nitrogen from thin air.  

here’s the oat/corn plot:

6C5DAAAB-1F08-483F-8B0B-9ADAE752ADB1.thumb.jpeg.abea1ff0707bb87351d9bc2c88cf0ea2.jpeg

Hopefully that has the does stacked up next Saturday.  They are hitting my adjacent sweetcorn pretty hard right now. 

have a neighbor who grows barely for beer. In almost 10 years the deer have never touched it.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

I paid $15 for 50 lbs of wheat and $9 for 50 lbs of oats at Rineharts in Middleport a few weeks ago.  

The oats (that’s some of it across the back) germinated very well.  I have not checked on the wheat yet, but it’s only been in a few days.  
4E7EFE00-1EA2-4D11-B8EC-3D63F47F243F.thumb.jpeg.bf1b8ce1999b001dce632d15d99f016d.jpeg

Real happy with wti Oats plus. Almost three weeks in now and my only worry is do the Oats last through October. Added destination wti for the barespots. Added fertlizer today. 

I hope to take a doe with my crossbow tag in October. 

I will have limited time hunting upstate this year but I enjoy the food plot process. Hopefully for each deer I kill it allows two to survive. 

Screenshot_20230909_145046_Gallery.jpg

20230909_144053.jpg