IGNORED

Can we discuss politics?

nywaw

Yes you can, there is a politics section here:

News, Media, and Politics

What we do on the NJ site is have a single monthly Political Discussion topic that is visible on the front page (main landing page) while all other topics in that politics forum are not.  We found politics was taking over the front page at times and it's a hunting, fishing and outdoors site so we didn't want politics dominating it.  We also don't want members to feel like their speech was being suppressed so this approach was the best balance.

On the same token, we don't want politics/political opinion overtaking site content relevant topics (hunting, fishing, outdoors, etc), so please keep politics in the politics forum!

The old sites “New Content” was dominated by political threads from 1-2 guys. Im happy to scroll past, but it got old when the first 9 items of new content I saw every day was crack pot political posts. Sometimes they are like a car wreck, you can’t not look at them no matter how nasty they are. 

I’d be fine with no politics unless it is directly related to hunting/fishing. 

4 minutes ago, Splitear said:

The old sites “New Content” was dominated by political threads from 1-2 guys. Im happy to scroll past, but it got old when the first 9 items of new content I saw every day was crack pot political posts. Sometimes they are like a car wreck, you can’t not look at them no matter how nasty they are. 

I’d be fine with no politics unless it is directly related to hunting/fishing. 

Yep that's exactly why we created the Monthly Political Discussion topic, because we saw the same, especially during COVID and elections.  We just don't want politics to overwhelm a hunting/fishing/outdoors frontpage.

3 hours ago, nywaw said:

Yep that's exactly why we created the Monthly Political Discussion topic, because we saw the same, especially during COVID and elections.  We just don't want politics to overwhelm a hunting/fishing/outdoors frontpage.

Best thing I've heard all day !

Edited by GreeneHunter

I think you’d actually find more members join without a politics section at all.

Maybe add it later if it really makes sense. As you can see, politics caused a lot of issues at HNY. Nothing ever good came from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

44 minutes ago, Belo said:

I think you’d actually find more members join without a politics section at all.

Maybe add it later if it really makes sense. As you can see, politics caused a lot of issues at HNY. Nothing ever good came from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should say that. I actually have a few people blocked/ignored, because of them spewing opposing political views, and me getting sick of hearing it. Lost any respect for them and quite frankly, because of that I could care less what they have to say about hunting, so I choose to block/ignore them. I have enough stress in my life and politics in the media... 

Edited by Cabin Fever

I don't come to places like this for political reasons. Unless the politics concern hunting, fishing and outdoor related topics.  If I want to debate politics, there are other places more suitable. It was always a crap shooting session over at the other place. Instigated by the same ones, over and over again. 

As Matt said, we have at times struggled with the political threads. We do feel we have a good solution in keeping it to a single thread. You will quickly see it’s the same 10 or so people arguing all day with each other. Let them. Pay them no attention. But we won’t tolerate regular posts to get political. In time the bad players will show themselves. We all have our “mod styles”. I prefer the barnyard cat style. Ever watch a barn cat mess with a mouse?  That’s my style until the troll crosses that magical line and gets himself banned. Maybe a 3 day rip at first, but we don’t tolerate political trolls. They can exist, but must stay in the monthly politics post and that’s it. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

3 hours ago, grampy said:

I don't come to places like this for political reasons. Unless the politics concern hunting, fishing and outdoor related topics.  If I want to debate politics, there are other places more suitable. It was always a crap shooting session over at the other place. Instigated by the same ones, over and over again. 

Let us know what you think as we try the single monthly thread. I’d prefer not to see it myself, but it seems impossible to avoid entirely. What we do is keep it out of your face in thread after thread. We’ve all seen that elsewhere and nobody signs up for that. We are always willing to listen and change.

Matt is not the overlord as you will find out. ::):

41 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Oh sorry humor I'm in the car

We try to keep that in the Lounge forum. If it triggers too many, we’ll ask to only post in the monthly politics post. 

I have a feeling that come Wednesday morning, we will have some political “raw nerves” and we will adjust on the fly. I don’t have to tell any of you how politically charged our nation is right now. Please keep all political threads to the single monthly post. Otherwise you’ll get warnings or a short rip.  I’m a big believer in the 3 day suspension. It sends a message. Believe it or not, we give very few of those in any given year. Mods try to send PMs before things spiral. That usually addresses any issues. 

Edited by Bucksnbows

41 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

We try to keep that in the Lounge forum. If it triggers too many, we’ll ask to only post in the monthly politics post. 

I have a feeling that come Wednesday morning, we will have some political “raw nerves” and we will adjust on the fly. I don’t have to tell any of you how politically charged our nation is right now. Please keep all political threads to the single monthly post. Otherwise you’ll get warnings or a short rip.  I’m a big believer in the 3 day suspension. It sends a message. Believe it or not, we give very few of those in any given year. Mods try to send PMs before things spiral. That usually addresses any issues. 

What if its like funny  Political youtube video posted same rule  Applies?