IGNORED

OTHER Places To Hunt.

When you hunt somewhere as long as Bill, yes, you will find a parcel or 2, that is known by the locals to be ok to hunt. This land is not posted. Am I saying march through someones front yard becasue there's no sign?. NO. Every situation is different. Every state is also different. Maine for example, if there's no sign it's open to hunting. I'm sure if you caught someone on your non posted land in NY, the game warden would let him go. 

I  just looked it up . In NY it is illegal to trespass even if the land is not posted. If you catch the trespasser, all you can do is notify him by certified mail that he is not to be there. If your land is posted he can be issued a $250 fine.

In Massachusetts, if the land is not posted, you can hunt there. If the land is posted, you need permission. 

Edited by Spysar

14 minutes ago, Spysar said:

I  just looked it up . In NY it is illegal to trespass even if the land is not posted. If you catch the trespasser, all you can do is notify him by certified mail that he is not to be there. If your land is posted he can be issued a $250 fine.

In Massachusetts, if the land is not posted, you can hunt there. If the land is posted, you need permission. 

Can you post a source for this? I posted the relevant Penal Law provisions above showing that unused, unimproved, and unposted land is fair game until told otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Spysar said:

Unfortunately, that's a pretty poorly worded website. I read that to mean that it's "illegal" even if unposted because instead of posting you can communicate your lack of permission to the "trespasser." If you post, there are penalties consistent with a violation level offense. 

That isn't inconsistent with the law that I posted. They are simply stating that if land is posted OR you have been told to keep out, you are trespassing. But I am still aware of no law that would impose a criminal penalty where (1) the land is not improved, used, or posted, and (2) you have not been told to keep out by the owner of an agent. 

EDIT: Just double checked the Environmental Conservation Law. The two operative provisions require either posting or communicated notice against trespassing, I noted above. 

https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/environmental-conservation-law/env-sect-11-2113.html

https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/environmental-conservation-law/env-sect-11-2115.html

Edited by Caveman

Growing up we had large sections of land that has kids we played in. In the fall people would bow hunt it and during gun the local police and DPW would do deer drives.   I am guessing it was all own by developers because it became UPS, Amazon and Jaguars headquarters.   Also large areas were lost to condos.    I never heard of anyone getting tickets for trespassing.  Not saying it was right but no one seem to worry about it. 

2 hours ago, Spysar said:

So Bill is not wrong and if you want people off your  land, post it(will not necessarily stop trespass, but will give you the legal edge). The end.

It's definitely a gray area.  One law reads posted or not, it's illegal to trespass. The other has different definitions of " land".  

IMO, Bill, and everyone else is trespassing. You didn't ask the owner/s, regardless if it's posted or not.  And the town clerk can't get someone permission. 

The excuse of, everyone else uses the land, and the town clerk said I could is pretty lame.