IGNORED

Conservation Officers

JimC1965

Had the opportunity to meet and talk with a NY DEC Conservation Officer today. Officer Wilson was filled with useful information and took the time to share it with me today. He could not have been more courteous or kind. Sometimes these guys get a bad rap, but I can say my experiences with them has always been pleasant. 

Only ever had one bad (it wasn’t even that bad) experience with an ECO. He refused for the longest time to believe I was under the age of needing a fishing license. He even asked me for ID which I didn’t have because I was so young. He eventually gave up and let me on my way.

Most just want to chat about the hunting/fishing conditions and how you did without ever checking for your license.   

I ran into one couple years ago filling up his Durango at the gas pump. I was walking across the parking lot and spotted a huge deer in his backseat. I gave a call over, wow that is an amazing buck. He started laughing, it was a motorized decoy. It was a 10 or a 12-pointer! I thought it was odd that he would have had a carcass in the backseat, never occurred to me it was just the head of the decoy! Lol

The one time I’ve had a run in with them haven’t been so nice…. They were dicks actually. :rolleyes: 

I was squirrel hunting with a friend of mine, and he either tossed OR dropped an empty .22 ammo box on the ground by my car. I picked it up and tossed it into my car. Days later, I was coming out of the woods from bow hunting and was met by 2 ECO officers. They saw the ammo box in my back seat and accused me of having a .22 while bow hunting! They demanded that I take them back to my stand, so they could search the area for a .22! I tried to explain why the empty .22 ammo box was in my car, but they wouldn’t listen or believe me! Guilty until proven innocent, I guess! They searched the entire area hoping to find a hidden .22! They were dick heads! That was almost 40 years ago, but it sure left a lasting impression with me! 

Our local guy is a good guy. Have had great interactions with him.  The guy before him.. totally opposite. He had dealings with my uncle's and automatically assumed I was the same. He would check me every time he seen me, and would accuse me of wrong doings which I would say prove it. When he retired, I seen him in a local gun shop and told him we had a retirement party for him and he wasn't invited. 

I’ve known many of the NJ COs over the years.  I have a friend that actually covers my area and see him often some years. He is my buddy’s “kid” brother and I’ve known him since he was 8. I’ve only ever had good interactions with COs. I did have one in Vermont pull my brother and I over on our ten speed bikes, riding back to our ski house one summer day after trout fishing the Mad River. He thought I was old enough to require a fishing license when I still had two years to go. But he was nice the whole time. 

Edited by Bucksnbows

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board