IGNORED

Stands by property boundaries

broomeguy

On the subject of property lines ,

There used to be a big overgrown  “no mans land” field behind my parents place.  The owner had died and no one farmed it or paid any taxes on it for several years.  There was no clear “property” line.

Another energetic new neighbor bought it in a tax auction.  He had it surveyed and posted the crap out of if.  If turned out that one of my stands was about 10 yards onto his land, and another was on my parents, but within about 5 yards of the line.  He left “nasty” notes on each, along with his phone number, asking that they be moved or “he would remove them himself” after a deadline expired.  

I called the number and met him back there.  He got a lot nicer after he learned that my parents owned the woods on two sides of his new field.  He apparently wasn’t so nice to the 6 or 7 other “aborigins” (people I don’t know) who also had stands on that field.  

The hunting has gotten many times better since he took over that field.  In prior years, it was very rare for me to see more deer than I saw “aborigins” spilling over the border from that field into my parents woods.   The new owner stopped them cold.  I ain’t seen another hunter over there since he took over.  I have killed mature bucks over there (4) of the last (6) years since he took over though, where I had never taken one in the prior (30) years.  

I was tempted to shoot a 1.5 year old antlered buck on his side of the line, from that stand 5 yards away, the first year.  I’m glad I held off, because we have got along well ever since.  That probably would not be the case, had I shot that young buck.  He wasn’t home at the time, but there was snow, so it would not have been easy  to  hide the evidence.   

It was his field that I shot that doe (5) yards from this September.  The only time I’ve been on his field was the second year he had it.  I called him to ask if I could take a shortcut thru his land, to extract the carcass of a big buck I killed in the middle of my dads swamp behind his field.  He let me do it, and said that he had some trail can pics of the buck, when I sent him a picture of it.  

The swamp buck that I dragged across the corner of his field:

31A0E5FD-40E1-43FD-998A-7DD5258401A0.thumb.jpeg.184e99c45582d8bd5eafcdf54bac30c8.jpeg

Edited by Wolc123

I hunt westchester. 1 stand is 10 yards from a fence of an office complex. There is a hole in the fence about 25 yards away and my spot is only 1 acre. Not many trees to pic from there. Up in the Catskills we have 2 stands on property lines. Both face into our property and keep the neighbors informed on locations. Try to keep everyone in the loop and happy. Just the way the property hunts. 

Most of my.stands are near property line  5 ft to 50 yard.. most neighbors don't care as I tell them hunt if you want to.. had threats from one but I told him stand was there before he bought and I'm not moving it. So he hunt far away from me anyway . Maybe hunt there gun 1x bow 2x a year. . But stands become boundary markers and  if your there  1st most others stay away even if they own the land.  Or call and hunt stand near their line.. a good spot is a good spot.  That being said  it always about how you get along with neighbors..

the same holds true if they won't let you on theirs to retrieve then your sure not coming on mine.  Goes both ways some people forget about that... initially.